Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Interesting hand

For no other reason then to display how strange some people play, I offer the following hand. This hand took place at Party poker, 2/4 limit hold'em:

I'm sitting in late position with AsKh. The player to my right raises after three players limp. I reraise, and one player to my left caps the betting, both blinds fold, the three early limpers fold, the first raiser calls, and I call, leaving us with a $33 pot. The flop comes down:

Jc Td 5c

Giving me a gutshot and two overs, although the coordinated flop is a concern. The player to my right checks, I check, the preflop capper bets. The player to my right calls. Now, I am thinking my overs are no longer outs, and I don't want the Qc to come necessarily, which gives me three queens to catch. I feel its an obvious call because the pot is now at $37 and I only have to call one small bet. The Turn brings a blank and the board now looks like this:

Jc Td 5c 3h

The action on this round is the same, the player to my right checks, as do I, and the preflop capper bets, the player to my right (who I'm now convinced has two relatively big clubs, KcQc maybe) calls, as do I, given the huge pot, I again think calling with a gutshot and two overs is correct here. The pot is now $47. So I call and the river brings the Js.

The same action as the previous two rounds ensues, the player to my right checks, I also check (hoping to just show it down), and the player who was the aggressor the entire hand of course bets. The player to my right folds leaving me with the obvious decision to call, which I did. I missed my gutshot straight but the pot is now $55, so folding is not even an option. Now, this player reraised a raiser and a reraiser preflop, he bet out the flop, turn, and river respectively, and he had two players calling him down to the river, until one dropped out. The final board is Jc Td 5c 3h, I'm sitting on AsKh, and I call. I have two questions to anyone who cares to answer, (a) who took down the pot; and (b) what did the preflop capper have?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Interesting hand

Meh, you have nut-no-pair, it isn't that surprising if you win. I think you play too passively postflop btw, you should have probably won this pot without a showdown.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:44 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

You offer no reads on the capper. Even with them bet-call hands don't offer a whole lot in the way of hand reading. Without any reads, I'll go with 72o and u take the pot down. Although, i think Q5s is a close second, in which case u lose.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM

I have no idea what the opponent has but I'm guessing hero lost or it probably wouldn't be posted. Just a hunch.

Since I'm in a rather playful mood I'll venture a guess of a very well played 22.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Chief, that's what I have him on too. I think he's a descendant of Stuey Ungar as well.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:07 PM

Q5s was close. This guy had Q6s, and they weren't clubs! Ok, I figured with a flop like that, considering two players besides myself put in raises, and one of them capped, that I was behind to a big pair or possibly a set. I'm calling all the way rather than raising because I'm getting correct odds to draw to a gutshot. The call on the river was in essence a crying call, and I couldn't possibly fold for $4 with a $55 pot heads up! I could only beat a bluff, and thankfully, thats all this guy was doing the entire time. I posted this more as an example of how people just play ridiculous at times. I mean, this guy caps the flop with Q6s, behind a raise and a reraise? Maybe I should have raised at some point as a semi-bluff, but I didn't want to risk two or three bets when I could cheaply call to the river getting good odds to chase. Now that you mention it, perhaps I was too passive, but in the end I played it pretty much textbook.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:24 PM

The reason I didn't offer any reads on the capper is because the questions at the end refer to reading that player's hand! I didn't want to give it away. I thought there was at least an 85% chance I was beaten on the river. I figured him for at least QQ. I had to call for one more bet on the river given the size of the pot, and luckily, he was inexplicably bluffing. Although, had I not caught a gutshot on the flop, I suppose his bluff would have worked brilliantly. However, it is usually a bad idea to cap it with Q6s given the fact that one player raised and another reraised. I was posting this in a lighthearted manner, just to show how unbelievable people play.