Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Proper way to protect your hand

Preflop I'm hating that everyone called. On the flop, I don't want to go for a checkraise for fear it will check through and that flush will beat me. Is it right to bet out on the flop?

Ultimate Bet 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

River: (10 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 04-28-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Proper way to protect your hand

Betting the flop is fine. A flush draw is coming along anyways, and it diguises your hand. Bet the turn too.

-Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 02:21 PM

Bet the turn.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Preflop I'm hating that everyone called

this is big red flag of nut understanding how you make money in poker. the post title combined with the flop you showed also suggests this.

when you are dealt 2 aces, and the flop is not out yet, you have the NUTS. you want everyone to pay 4 bets everytime.

betting the flop is definitely the way to go. your reasong behind not wanting to checkraise is flawed. you should avoid attempting a checkraise because 1) you dont know where a bet will comefrom, and 2) you dont want the flop checked through because once again, YOU HAVE THE NUTS. betting the flop has absolutely nothing to do with protecting your hand. in fact, at no point in this hand should you be concerned with protecting your hand. you should just focus on extracting maximum bets.

wow a turn check. how is that extracting maximum bets? you realize you have the nuts right?

river, well played...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM

I understand that the ideal situation is capping preflop with everyone in the pot, but the pecimist in me hates it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 PM

Preflop, rejoice. More people calling means more money for you. They all are calling with much worse hands, none of them have odds to call, they all are making a big error. You want people making errors.
You flopped a hand that wants to see a lot of action. When you bet the flop you are hoping for a raise, preferrably from a lower set. Anyway, how likely are you to get a check-raise after you raised the flop and an A falls on the flop and you are the guy with all the aces?
Since no one raised you on the flop, there is probably no lower set and that means that the A on the turn helps no one but you. So, you check to let people have their free cards hoping that maybe they'll draw a strong hand. Now, CO bets. What is this? What is CO doing? He doesn't have an ace and he probably doesn't have a set. Raising is pointless. You might as well just call and make it cheap for people to draw.
River isn't the best for you, but maybe it helped someone.
Your river line is obviously the best.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 PM

I think you played it perfectly.

You want everyone to call when you have aces. You still have the best hand.

Bet the flop.

Good turn.

Congratulations, you got raised on the river.

nh
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM

I don't understand how you can say the turn was played well. Read Krishans post further down for an explanation on why the turn was horribly played.

-Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 02:30 PM

i think the turn is very nice example of why you shouldnt just randomly checkraise. you had no idea where a bet was coming from. you check everyone checks to the CO, and now you cant even raise because you dont want to shut everyone out.

you should have just bet the turn, and hoped to get raised.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:33 PM

I didn't want to raise the turn, I wanted to hopefully keep either UTG or the BB in for an extra BB and draw to their flush hopefully.