Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Another AK question?

B&M 10/20.

My image is a very tight TAG. (other post).

UTG (loose passive) calls, folded to hero with AKo and I raise. SB, BB and UTG calls.

Flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

SB checks, BB bets (loose passive as well), UTG raises. Now, I'm thinking I'm in a raise or fold situation and fold as I know UTG is on a J. And, I'm not sure about the BB. In hindsight, I really think I was in a great situation to isolate against the UTG or the BB (if he capped). How many would raise UTG here? BTW, Hero folds.

Turn is a lovely A, and river is a brick. BB shows A8 and UTG QJ.

Now, I'm really thinking I could have made the BB fold, but is this results oriented thinking?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Another AK question?

You don't want to draw to a pair when it's two bets to you. This is a good life rule.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:25 PM

True, it just felt weak/tightish and the results would have supported a re-raise. Sometimes it's just best to do things we don't like, as it's the right thing to do. Another thing that is good in poker and life.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-28-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True, it just felt weak/tightish and the results would have supported a re-raise. Sometimes it's just best to do things we don't like, as it's the right thing to do. Another thing that is good in poker and life.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
Magi

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you have still posted this hand if UTG had turned up JJ?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:49 PM

It just felt weak/tightish to not take an opportunity to try and isolate, even if he was on JJ. The thing is, for most (80%) of the players in the game, it was like there cards were face up. There may have been a 1% chance he was on JJ. So,

You're right, in that my ill-feelings were results oriented. I'm coming to grips, that it was the correct decision. Sometimes I just need to hear it was a good decision from some good players.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Magi
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

Hi Magithighs,

Funny handle, btw. I would fold in your situation.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG (loose passive) calls...BB bets (loose passive as well), UTG raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a bit contradictory for you to describe BB and UTG as loose-passive when they both tried to (successfully) drive you out by betting and raising. Perhaps this hand shows that they are capable of other plays. Being that your current read on them is loose-passive, it is correct to fold in this situation. If they were loose-aggressive by nature, then a 3-bet is an option, but not often enough to still be profitable with three opponents. So for them to bet/raise, you are definitely behind and will need to hit your 6 outer (3 outer actually but you didn't know that). You are really looking for only a king, for the likelihood of AJ or A8 is much too common.

[ QUOTE ]
Now, I'm really thinking I could have made the BB fold,

[/ QUOTE ]
Highly unlikely that BB would fold. For him to bet in this situation would mean that his calling tendencies are above average. If he was betting with a draw like 10-9 or any jack, then he is definitely not folding. So in conclusion, I think 3-betting is a bad idea.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:36 PM

I think this is an easy fold. Much better spots will come to put your money or semibluff. Your ace or king may not be live if someone hit a pair with a ace kicker or king kicker. A three bet will just get called down. with so much action on the flop. You don't have much a draw and might not have a draw at all.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:28 PM

I think the fold is ok.