Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 06:01 AM

Default vegas poker-binge (long)

just got back from an entire fortnight in vegas, it was fun but exhausting. not sure if this post belongs more in b&m, but since there are a couple hands i'd like feedback on, i thought i'd post it here.

started off at the bellagio, the place was a mess. i understand they were still being renovated and the tournament was in town, but it was a pain to have to chase down separate floorpersons (one for medium limit games, another for 10-20 nl and the really high-stakes games that were going) while they're wandering off with their clipboards and not even at the podium. and when you come back half an hour, 45 mins later, you have to chase them down again to find where you stand on the list since there's no electronic board (and from what i hear, the renovations didn't include that technological upgrade either). poker-wise, the 10-20 game was alternately very good and very tough. i played it for about 20 hours over 3 sessions and saw fun stuff like a 6k pot won by ace-high, or a guy pushing 2k all-in preflop 10 straight hands. but there were also some very good players, like the youngish regular who bought in for 30k or so, or two older gentlemen with massively deep stacks i sat next to who told stories of the old days and playing with ray zee. i've played 10-25 at borgata many times but this 10-20 game played MUCH bigger--i wouldn't want to play it regularly without at least a 100k bankroll. when the game heats up, the first raise is usually 140-200, and the second raise is to 500+. now for a couple of hands:

ep raises to 100, one caller, i make it 400 to go with KK. ep calls, but now the kid who flatcalled the first raise announces he's all-in. i have 5k behind, he has me covered by a lot. what do you do?

i limp in emp with KJs, one other limper, aggressive chip-spewer makes it 100 from the bb, we both call. flop is KQ9 with two clubs, i'm suited in spades. bb checks, i bet 200, other guy drops and bb calls. turn is Ace of clubs--bb leads for 400. what do you do?

anyhow, after playing the bellagio a few nights and counting myself fortunate that i'd broken even, i spent most of the remainder of my stay at the mgm grand. i really liked this room: they have an electronic board, every table has an automatic shuffler, and the tables are spread apart very spaciously. the floor were generally friendly and helpful, although some of the dealers made some pretty bad mistakes, and they have a silly rule about not allowing you to cut chips past the line which they flip-flopped twice while i was there. oh, they give a buck/hr for comps, that was a plus too since i believe neither the mirage nor bellagio give comps to poker players. the games were also really good, the 5-10 i played two weekends ago was ridiculous. one hand, after a couple limpers i raise from the button with 57s, flop 346. bb bets out 100, i make it 300, he says "i know you have a big pair" and pushes for 1k--then turns over Q4o [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] not that i'm complaining...

the 5-10 didn't go on weekdays so i played 2-5, they usually had 3 tables of that. here's a 2-5 hand with pretty deep stacks that i thought was interesting:

i wasn't "hero" of the hand, but hero raises to 20 on the button with TT. solid bb calls and limper calls. flop AJT with JT being diamonds. bb leads for 35, hero makes it 135. bb makes it 500 straight, he has 800 behind, hero has a similar stack. what do you do?

anyway, sorry again for the confused nature of this post. any comments on the hands would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Re: vegas poker-binge (long)

I would get it allin on both hands(KK and TT), but im a fish.

So the correct move would be folding.. at least on the 1st hand its very hard to see the villain having anything else then AA. Its not rare to see ppl just calling with AA in deep stack games.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:06 AM

"ep raises to 100, one caller, i make it 400 to go with KK. ep calls, but now the kid who flatcalled the first raise announces he's all-in. i have 5k behind, he has me covered by a lot. what do you do?"
Fold - The money is too deep to call w/o a read.

"i limp in emp with KJs, one other limper, aggressive chip-spewer makes it 100 from the bb, we both call. flop is KQ9 with two clubs, i'm suited in spades. bb checks, i bet 200, other guy drops and bb calls. turn is Ace of clubs--bb leads for 400. what do you do?"
Fold and wait for a better situation

"i wasn't "hero" of the hand, but hero raises to 20 on the button with TT. solid bb calls and limper calls. flop AJT with JT being diamonds. bb leads for 35, hero makes it 135. bb makes it 500 straight, he has 800 behind, hero has a similar stack. what do you do?"
Fold - Too many hands that beat you and money is too deep to call.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 AM

without a read fold, but theres alot of variables here. where are you? on the button and been raising it all night? in the blinds and been playing tight? is the ep raiser a chip spewer who goes too far and is easy to read? based on your image and also villian's image of ep change the decisions of the hand.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
like the youngish regular who bought in for 30k or so,

[/ QUOTE ]

never got to play with him, what was his deal? long hair, right?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, long blond hair, probably about 30 y/o. saw him show down some funky stuff like J4s, played it for a significant pf raise and made a flush. i can understand that he's playing those goofy hands for implied odds against deep money, but i couldn't figure out why he got action on his big pairs. one hand went like this: a guy raises to 80, he makes it 580 (!), other guy calls. flop is low cards, first guy checks, he bets 1k, other guy pushes for about 2.5k total. first guy shows pocket tens while he has queens. aside from the first guy just being a terrible player, i don't know why he would get that much action from a hand that didn't beat him, unless the other guy just felt he was bullying with his 30k stack. he was up over 10k the first night i played with him, talked to him a bit and he mentioned once losing a 90k pot in that game. i mostly stayed out of his way.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"ep raises to 100, one caller, i make it 400 to go with KK. ep calls, but now the kid who flatcalled the first raise announces he's all-in. i have 5k behind, he has me covered by a lot. what do you do?"

Fold - The money is too deep to call w/o a read.

[/ QUOTE ]

i folded. i didn't figure him to push over 5k with AK or QQ, so the best i could hope for was a chop.

[ QUOTE ]
"i limp in emp with KJs, one other limper, aggressive chip-spewer makes it 100 from the bb, we both call. flop is KQ9 with two clubs, i'm suited in spades. bb checks, i bet 200, other guy drops and bb calls. turn is Ace of clubs--bb leads for 400. what do you do?"

Fold and wait for a better situation

[/ QUOTE ]

i folded, he showed me T8o with the Tc. he had outs and he put the pressure on me, and it worked. he eventually went bust, dropped something like 12k, but even the "bad" players in the 10-20 game weren't afraid to put money into the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
"i wasn't "hero" of the hand, but hero raises to 20 on the button with TT. solid bb calls and limper calls. flop AJT with JT being diamonds. bb leads for 35, hero makes it 135. bb makes it 500 straight, he has 800 behind, hero has a similar stack. what do you do?"

Fold - Too many hands that beat you and money is too deep to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

hero folded. the only conceivable hands hero is ahead of here are AK/AQ of diamonds, and even those aren't huge dogs.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:55 PM

btw mike, sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. I had a great time in vegas also, and apparently only played the 10/20 when it was very, very good.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-28-2005, 04:32 PM

did he mention applying to the FBI?

if he's the same guy, i don't think he enjoyed danny negreanu playing with him...
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Joey?