Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 01:53 AM

Default the turn card gave me courage...

Hand 1: 5-10 full game

I have 1k in sb w/ TT. button makes steal raise to $40, I reraise to $170, BB calls!!!, button folds.

Flop is Jxx, I was about to check fold, but couldn't help myself betting out ~ 1/2 pot for $200. BB calls.

next card is a blank. I check, he bets $400, I fold.

a couple hands later...
----------------------------------------------------------
Hand 2:

5-10 full game and I have 77h in CO. Normal raiser raises to $40 in MP. I call ($600 - all have me covered). SB calls.

flop is 2x4h5h.

MP makes a small continuation bet of $50. I decide to see if he has high cards or a pair and raise him to $150, expecting to take the pot down right there.

SB folds quickly, MP thinks and calls. crap, I'm done w/ the hand probably.

Turn: 6h

He checks, I push...

comments on flop / turn play? what about hand 1 - is this just a check fold w/ no read on BB? What about my resteal w/ TT? I usually don't make this play, but that stupid 99 hand from ciaffone rueben book was going through my head at the time...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: the turn card gave me courage...

Hand 1 sounds like it's right out of PL/NL, nothing you can do.

Hand 2 - like.

edit: ha, just read full post, yeah, right out of C&R
Old 04-28-2005, 10:24 AM

"I usually don't make this play, but that stupid 99 hand from ciaffone rueben book was going through my head at the time... "

Did you forget the part about betting the pot on the flop, as opposed to about 1/2 of the pot.?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:35 AM

The BB called, not the button - if the button calls, then I can bet the pot if I feel like I need to. the BB cold calling a reraise is much scarier. He had at least QQ.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 AM

"The BB called, not the button - if the button calls, then I can bet the pot if I feel like I need to. the BB cold calling a reraise is much scarier. He had at least QQ."

Sorry I misread and did think it was the button who called you. I think it's ok to reraise with a hand such as 10 10 out of the blinds from time to time. I sometimes do it, but most of the time I would just call. I have done it too often in the past and it can be costly. When I'm doing it a lot though, it does tend to set me up well for a double through when I have a big hand. Depending on how often the button raises, of course, would determine how often I'd reraise with a hand like 10 10 or even a lesser hand on a steal.

As the hand played out, I think a check on the flop would be the best play.