Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 05:09 PM

Default 88 UTG

I hadn't been at the table long, but I did quickly learn that it is profitable. I get 88 UTG and am torn between raising and calling. I decide to raise, hoping that I will only get one or two callers (the ones that I know I'm ahead of).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

<font color="blue"> Five players seeing the flop is NOT what I wanted, and that Ace spells bad news for me. I bet out, planning to fold to a raise. Fortunately, I get several folds, and the only person left in the hand is a guy that I am confident I am ahead of. </font>

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> Five doesn't worry me, though I'm still a little cautious of a slow-played Ace, or maybe him hanging on with a nine in hand. I bet here wanting a free showdown. </font>

River: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue">I get my free showdown. </font>

Final Pot: 8 BB

Thoughts? I was confident that I was ahead of this guy earlier in the hand, and the 5 and 3 couldn't have changed very much. Should I have bet on the river, or was my free showdown good? Other comments appreciated as well.

*EDIT* Took out results, even if they were in white.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: 88 UTG

nice hand, my only qualm is this

[ QUOTE ]
Five players seeing the flop is NOT what I wanted

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think like this. 3 people coldcalling and two more coming in from the blinds is a great thing for you because you are almost certainly making theoretical money preflop, Sklansky bucks if you will. Now, more than likely you will not win as much unimproved after the flop but you should not see it as a bad thing to ever get lots of bad callers. With implied odds you need about 5:1 with pocket pair to hit a set so with all those people you are in a great spot. Possibly you realize all this, but just trying to lead you away from that line of thought.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:17 PM

I like it although I'd save raising 88 UTG for more tighter games. In a loose game like this limping and hitting a set that these loosies will pay off might be more EV.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:20 PM

In this type of game, if you are looking to knock out a lot of players pre-flop...it just won't happen unless you are UTG+1 and three-bet an opening raise. In low-limit HE, you can normally expect 3-6 way pots. Raising with 88 UTG here would most likely not accomplish your goal of making your pot shorthanded.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:22 PM

i like the way you played this hand.
i'd probably limp preflop in my current state, but i think raising is ok.

my question to you is this: if you are confident that you are ahead on the flop against that one opponent, why not bet the river?

something i wonder about...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Because your feel you're ahead, but not 55% ahead [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM

i would limp preflop
as i like to flop sets when
which dominate donks
Old 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because your feel you're ahead, but not 55% ahead [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

67% ?

I'd check the river through, for what it's worth...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:39 PM

I would have called preflop. And no you don't mind having 5 people see the flop - what you DO mind is having 3 see it, which is what a raise from early position might get you.

On this flop I think I am way behind, and I would bet with the intention of folding if anyone pops it. Only one caller is amazing!

I think the free showdown is good. Even if he didnt improve that one caller could still have a lot of ways to beat us, any 9 (he IS in a blind) or Ax. Ax may well not bet out on a 5-way flop feeling sure he is outkicked.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:39 PM

however even with
my pre flop complaint, i like
the post flop action