Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM

Default interesting hand

I wasn't in this pot, but I thought it was interesting. I apologize for the inaccurate board descriptions, I just don't remember.

5-5 game, EP (2k) limps, MP (2k) limps, lots of other people limp, flop is rags with two diamonds, I think ten high. EP (who is overagressive and seems to be steaming) bets 50, MP calls and everyone else folds.

turn is a brick, check check.

river is a diamond. EP bets 450, the pot is around 150. pretend you are MP, and you have 5d9d. what's your move?

--turnipmonster
Old 04-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: interesting hand

fold
Old 04-27-2005, 01:33 PM

This is so very player dependent, not everyone steams same way. But that said, I think it's a very borderline but makeable call. Most people on tilt with a strong flush draw will lead out on the turn here on the basis of 'I have to hit eventually' and any flush draw that beats MP has at least 1 probably 2 overcards (KdQd) here. An Ad10x, turned set or pair like JJ with a diamond seems quite possible here. While it's certainly possible MP is beat I just think he's good more than 4-1 here so call.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 PM

Depends on MPs table image, taking that out of the equation, I'd actually push.
If EP is really steaming and he has overcards or the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to go with a flush draw, he likely bets the turn as well.
Since every non over-card makes a lower flush and because J and Q high flushes likely fold to my push all I have to worry about is the K and A high. Therefore, once again, I push.
I'm curious who it actually was, anyway, what happened?

topout
Old 04-27-2005, 01:57 PM

POT is 150 BET is 450.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:59 PM

You're going to try to bluff off a Q or J high flush after it bets 3x the pot on the river?

The play is call or fold and it's player dependant. Unless you're playing with someone who literally has no idea what they're doing I think a raise here is abysmal.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:04 PM

BTW I know my play is far from textbook. Someone talk me off it.
"He overbet" isn't going to work...
Overbet is as likely to be a baby flush trying to bet out a stronger but not nut flush as it is to be a steaming "I'm going to get paid off by some idiot" bet. The players in this game are generally solid but not elite (this happens to be one of my usual games but I was at a different table last night).

topout
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM

You definitely won't be able to get EP to muck Q or J high flush, by moving in, especially if he's steaming. Considering the diamonds are low, he could possibly hold the higher flush. It's a call you can make, but I'm not too sure how profitable.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:09 PM

was the river diamond a rag diamond?.....also, this overaggressive EP, does he like to bluff?.....tough spot, but based on the limited info you've given, I probably call....MP limped with that 9-high trash, called a bet on his draw, then hit....he probably has to pay off a possible higher flush here.....interestingly, there are 4 higher possible flushes and 3 lower possible....and he's getting 4 to 3 on his call......
Old 04-27-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely won't be able to get EP to muck Q or J high flush, by moving in, especially if he's steaming. Considering the diamonds are low, he could possibly hold the higher flush. It's a call you can make, but I'm not too sure how profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hold onto a Q or J high flush when someone goes all in for an additional $1,500 when your opponent knows you have a flush? There's $1,050 in the pot.

topout