Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Flopped set HU with flush on board....what\'s your line?

1st hour of tourny and my read on villain is somewhat solid. Haven't seen anything crazy as of yet and saw him laydown AJ 2hands prior when checkraised all in on an A35 board. I've only shown down 2 hands previosly AQ and QQ's so my image should be tight/solid.

Hand #5636100-36 at Wed12amB-004 (No Limit tournament Hold'em)
Powered by UltimateBet
Started at 27/Apr/05 00:40:07

celts0008 is at seat 0 with 5295.
Pigheaded is at seat 1 with 2470.
gabriel47 is at seat 2 with 3490.
Nuttypoolog is at seat 3 with 4760.
16poppy is at seat 4 with 4845.
hotdawggy is at seat 5 with 4280.
SuzyQZ is at seat 6 with 1390.
cardguy12 is at seat 7 with 3470.
tiger7210 is at seat 8 with 2245.
RIA is at seat 9 with 3325.
The button is at seat 3.

16poppy posts the small blind of 20.
hotdawggy posts the big blind of 40.

celts0008: -- --
Pigheaded: -- --
gabriel47: -- --
Nuttypoolog: -- --
16poppy: -- --
hotdawggy: -- --
SuzyQZ: -- --
cardguy12: -- --
tiger7210: 3c 3h
RIA: -- --

Pre-flop:

SuzyQZ folds. cardguy12 folds. tiger7210 calls.
RIA folds. celts0008 raises to 180. Pigheaded
folds. gabriel47 folds. Nuttypoolog folds.
16poppy folds. hotdawggy folds. tiger7210 calls.

Flop (board: 3d Qd 5d):

What's your line here since I'm 1st to act?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Flopped set HU with flush on board....what\'s your line?

turn a full house?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Bet the Pot.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:33 AM

Betting the pot was certainly my 1st thought but if you're fairly certain your opponent will bet do you allow them to committ some chips as a dog here?

I was fairly certain he had AK/AQ or a pair 88-JJ's was my read.

A pot sized bet by the raiser was fairly normal at the table.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the pot was certainly my 1st thought but if you're fairly certain your opponent will bet do you allow them to committ some chips as a dog here?

I was fairly certain he had AK/AQ or a pair 88-JJ's was my read.

A pot sized bet by the raiser was fairly normal at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you KNOW he's going to bet then obviously let him throw chips in. But the chance of a checkthrough is also high, and you might be letting him draw you out for free. I usually wouldn't "get too fancy" without something like seeing them play a thousand hands and everytime after a preflop raise and board is suited they always bet the pot.

Also, if you think that they will continuation bet the Flop, that suggests some semblance of Aggression on their part. So even after you bet the Pot they might reraise all in as a semibluff.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 AM

Well my thought is betting the pot will certainly get worse hands to fold that I don't want to fold like any pair below QQ's that may take a stab at it as well as AK/AQ that would certainly make a continuation bet.

My real dilemma here is do I want to commit my chips here on the flop or wait until the turn to see if another diamond comes off where i can still get away if I have to.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well my thought is betting the pot will certainly get worse hands to fold that I don't want to fold like any pair below QQ's that may take a stab at it as well as AK/AQ that would certainly make a continuation bet.

My real dilemma here is do I want to commit my chips here on the flop or wait until the turn to see if another diamond comes off where i can still get away if I have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't waiting till the Turn going to place you in the same dilemma? Won't you have to wait til the River to really feel safe?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't waiting till the Turn going to place you in the same dilemma? Won't you have to wait til the River to really feel safe?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. By pushing now, villain would barely be incorrect to call all-in with, say, an overpair and 4 to the flush. By waiting for the non-diamond turn you can force your opponent into making a highly -EV call later. Plus, by checking you may induce a semi-bluff from the 4-flush.
One other thing to consider is that by checking you'll be placing yourself on a better situation if villian somhow flopped the flush. A healthy bet will induce his all-in. A check will only induce a min-bet on his part that will probably still give you the odds you need in order to make a call hoping for a paired board (32% of the time I believe).

Pep.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:09 AM

Well lets say villain has AK with one being a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving him 2 overs and the flush draw. I would tend to think he would be more inclined to call on the flop with 2 cards to come than with only 1 card to come.

So if I checkraise all in either he has to give me credit for the Q, a set, or bluffing with the flush draw.

Now i think he calls with any decent holding on the flop but a brick on the turn and his call becomes much more difficult. Does this line make sense?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 AM

This looks like an easy check-raise to me.

If he should fold to a pot-sized bet from you, that would be a WORSE result than a check/check behind because a.) he's unlikely to check a flush draw on the flop, and b.) even if he did, the 4-flush is unlikely to hit the turn, and his drawing odds will be wrecked, so you can bet the turn hoping to get him to make a bad call.

Obviously, the best-case scenario is you check the flop, he makes a pot-sized bet, and you raise the right amount, hoping to see him make a bad call.