Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Default The Last Picture Show.

40-80 3-handed

I am dealt 44 in the small blind.

Button is a tilting moron and has about $500 left in his stack. He open raises and I make it three bets. Big Blind is okay/solid(three handed solid, not ten handed solid) and a decent hand reader. Me and Big Blind have been taking turns taking button's money. He calls two cold and Button caps it and I call. 3 to the flop for 12 SB.

The Flop comes K82 all spades. I have the four of spades.

I check, BB checks. Button bets, I raise. BB calls. Button 3-bets All call.

Turn is a red deuce.

I check and it's checked around.

River is the King of Clubs.

I bet, BB calls, Button Raises and I three bet.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: The Last Picture Show.

u played the river like u had an A? Why are u apparently trying to disocurage bb from calling, or did u really think he would fold anyway for one more? BB already called your lead river bet with the flop 3-bettor behind, so he had to be aware button might do soemthing wacky and raise again, meaning I would expect him to call one more- so u were 3-betting purely for value? Likely get the same result by calling (does BB call 2?) with no 4-bet dounside.

BTW, I can't imagine putting the BB on a better hand here, so that's the crux of my confusion. what does a river 3-bet do for you? I think BB has an A or maybe a Q.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM

I'll explain my reasoning play later after everyone who wants to has a chance to think about the hand.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 PM

I guess the hand is not that interesting. In no limit there is a play where both players have the obvious nuts--say a J on an ATKQ board. What if the board has two of one suit and the third suit comes on the river or the board pairs? Often one player will move all in to represent a hand that can beat a straight and try to move the other player off his hand.

Here, I was trying to represent this play to BB. The button will call his last few dollars with basically any hand that has any chance of winning. I wanted to make BB think that I had a hand with an Ace in and was trying to bluff him off a share of the pot. There is no chance that I was going to be 4-bet.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 AM

but u did it for value by trying to represent an *obvious* bluff....given utg only had a partial bet left it is not soo bad (limited downside) but i think most of the time it costs u as BB wants to call but u make him fols and utg doesn't even have a full bet left...imo u are clearly better than bb and he wants to call, i let him with very limted upside to justify a raise if ahead of utg and fact utg could/might have a better hand...bb's passive play doesn't indicate he can call 2 on this river very often as your hand almost looks like a missed turn check-raise more than a desperation bluff..although an A is consistent too