Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Default No limit player wants to learn LImit

I am a decent no limit player that wants to learn limit because that is all that is offered live where i live. So I have 800 dollars in my party account to start learning with but have a few questions.

1. What limit should i start at
2. How far do you play small pocket pairs that don't hit
3. KQ,KJ,QJ,QT all are garbage in most cases in no limit can they be played in limit games?

Also anything else you guys can tell me to get started would be great.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: No limit player wants to learn LImit

I'd start out by getting a copy of Small Stakes HoldEm, reading that, then starting off at microlimits.

I'm the flip side of this coin. I've just played limit and I'm just starting to try to learn PL & NL.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM

1-- .5/1

2&3-- read "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Ed Miller/Malmuth/Sklansky
Old 04-26-2005, 04:17 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

1. .5/1 to get comfortable. You're b'red for 2/4, but I would start low.
2. Depends. Post hands in which u're not comfortable.
3. Yes. PF standards depend on a lot of things though and how to play each of these will vary with the table conditions, just browse the forums, especially the micro section, a lot and u'll get a good idea of when to call/ fold/ raise these hands.

In general, be a lot more aggressive than in NL, read SSHE, and u'll be fine.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. .5/1 to get comfortable. You're b'red for 2/4, but I would start low.

[/ QUOTE ]

800 is no bankroll for 2/4, especially for someone just starting out.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:36 PM

1. 1/2

2. depends on lots of things obviously. Which overcards are there, who your opopnents are, what the action is.

3. KQ is good. KJ is ok, QJ is marginal, QT is slightly below marginal. KQ i'll raise any position. KJ and QJ from MP or layer, QT from the CO/button.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Hints for the no-limit vet dipping his feet into the limit pool:

1. Showdowns win hands. Especially at the lower limits, you will usually have to turn your cards up to win the pot. Raw aggression doesn't go nearly as far when you can't add more than a buck or two to the pot at a time. Plus, while the calling stations get obliterated quickly at the no limit tables, they linger for much longer at the limit tables; you'll see far more of them "keeping you honest" than you ever would at NL.

2. Replace "implied odds" with "pot odds." In no limit, your implied odds are limited only to the opponent's bankroll. In limit, your implied odds are typically limited to one or two big bets per opponent. Given that, you can't "test the waters" as much as you can in no limit. Your iffy starting hands that might turn into monsters won't pay off at the limit tables, so they're not worth chasing. In order to show a profit, you'll have to tighten up quite a bit relative to the typical NL starting hands.

3. Leave the slowplay at the NL table. In no limit, you can slowplay your monsters, knowing that there's always time to get the money into the middle. In limit, that's not the case: you've got a fixed and very small amount of bets that you can force down another player's throat. You need to take advantage of them at every chance. If you flop the miracle boat or quads, bet 'em, and keep betting 'em as long as your opponents are willing to let you.

I'm sure much more fine-tuning will be necessary to fully adjust from NL to limit, but these three are big ones.