Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 01:02 PM

Default slowing down fast with AK, monday night at the taj 15/30

Pretty good game last night, here's the lineup of those involved. Fullhanded (maybe 9 handed) at the taj 15/30.

I had been playing pretty tight and had a strong image for those who were paying attention.

UTG "ChookyMcChook" is a plain terrible player. I'd guess his limping standards are any suited, any face, any connector above 56. He has almost never raised preflop. Postflop he is somewhat unpredictable, but basically never raises. A few hands earlier he limped with T5o, bet-called a flopped top two against a preflop raiser, turned his boat and bet-called again, then check called the river.

He limps.

Next to act is a fairly young asian girl "Girl" (no creativity there). She hasn't been at the table for very long, unfortunatly, but from a pure first impression of how she handles herself she seems like a pretty good player (just based on the fact that she was good friends with the other TAG at the table and that she had folded most of her hands in her first orbit). Of course, this is just a preliminary read, so take it for what it's worth.

She limps.

Folded around to the button "Whut?" (he said this all the time at the table) who is unpredictable and terrible. He's not in the hand much postflop so I'll stop describing him there.

He limps.

I'm next to act in the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise.

BB, "OldMan" about as loose as the two other players I have described, but far more passive postflop. He gives me tons of credit. Anyways, he's not in the hand much so I won't bother going into description.

He Calls. ChookyMcChook calls, Girl calls, Whut calls.

Flop" T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, OldMan folds, ChookyMcChook raises, Girl calls, Whut folds, I call.

Turn: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, ChookyMcChook checks, Girl bets, I call, ChookyMcChook calls.

River T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check planning on calling?

Who check-calls?
Who bet-calls?
Who bet-folds?

Sorry if this isn't all that interesting, I felt strange playing it like this.

-DrG
Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Default bump

Old 04-26-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: slowing down fast with AK, monday night at the taj 15/30

I think I would lead the turn when a blank came since you can't afford a free card - half the deck cripples you if you're ahead.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 PM

I would lead the river and fold to a raise from either player based on the descriptions you gave, because both players are unlikely to bluff raise.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:31 PM

it is very likely you are drawing to very little when the "player who never rasies" raises this flop.

On the turn, however, not knowing the bettor at all, you shold check-raise if your "player who never raises" might fold the only club in play or QT. If he will never fold, then calling is fine.

On the river, you can't like your hand very much. If it gets checked around, it's likely utg has you beat, and you save money rather than lose it. If UTG will now fold KQ, you may want to check-raise, if not, you definitely want to go for the overcall unless you can safely fold. It takes a fairly bad player to bet a naked king or queen in this spot on the river, so you should at least consider folding.

Dan Z.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop he is somewhat unpredictable, but basically never raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
ChookyMcChook raises

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Girl calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm done with the hand at this point. River was probably the best card in the deck for your hand and you still have no idea where you stand.

-Jason
Old 04-26-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would lead the river and fold to a raise from either player based on the descriptions you gave, because both players are unlikely to bluff raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you check call the turn, lead the river?

just clarifying

-DrG
Old 04-26-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Postflop he is somewhat unpredictable, but basically never raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
ChookyMcChook raises

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Girl calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm done with the hand at this point. River was probably the best card in the deck for your hand and you still have no idea where you stand.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this mean you fold the flop? Check fold the turn? I understand that you assume you are beat after the flop, but what's your action from there, considering that chooky checked the turn?

-DrG
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 PM

I would play the turn the same as you.