Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Playing KK against a board w/ babies

After my bad beat earlier, (see top set play) , maybe I didn't play this as well as I shouldv'e.

I've got KK in middle position, $1-2NL table 9 players.
My stack is about $200.
SB, BB, fold, raise to $12, I make it $25, folds around to button - calls $25 the rest fold.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet $50, button calls.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I push all in, button calls and turns over A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

river is 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] giving him both the straight and the flush , and my second bad beat of the night.

Then I go on TILT, lose another $100 figuring it is my turn to catch my draw (all-in bet with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] with AQx on the flop) and finally do the walk of shame.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Playing KK against a board w/ babies

Reraise more preflop, to $40 or so. If he calls this, the money is probably going in regardless as he has overs plus a flush draw on the flop and could see himself having 15 outs (despite only having 12, he's not making a huge mistake calling if you overbet allin on the flop).
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM

I think you are right. $45 would have been a pot-sized raise.
My thinking now, that I am coming off tilt is:
I'm better than 2:1 favorite pre-flop, so I want him to call.
After the flop I'm only about 1.3 to 1 favorite, so this is where I should have pushed all-in.

However, running it through pokerstove, I find that on the turn I am again a 2:1 favorite, so I guess it really was a bad beat on the river for me.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

However, running it through pokerstove, I find that on the turn I am again a 2:1 favorite, so I guess it really was a bad beat on the river for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you push all in on the turn after raising to $25 preflop and betting $50 on the flop, isn't your turn bet only around $125 into a pot that is about $160? Seems like if you are only a 2:1 favorite, he certainly still has the odds to call. If he has the odds to call, I'd hardly call it a bad beat...
Old 04-26-2005, 02:19 PM

You are correct. $20 more, and it would've been a bad call. But that is all I had, so what could I do?

From his point of view though, if he put me on AA-QQ then it was a good call. If he put me on AA-KK then it was a bad call. It was very close no matter how you slice it.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:26 PM

Im not sure whatyou are complaining about. Except for making larger bets earlier i would have played it the same.
Also on the turn, if i knew he had AQs i would want to be all in on him because you're clearly the favorite. (when he calls you almost have to assume hes on the flush draw with high cards but there's nothing you can do to get him to fold)
Old 04-26-2005, 02:41 PM

As hard as it would be to give it up, you have to assume hes calling your preflop bet with an Ace in his hand. I think the best play here would be check, call if you think your still winning and that way if you lose its not your whole stack.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM

This is not a check/call, its a push/fold situation. Youre the favorite on the flop against any reasonable opponent and you have to make him pay here to keep playing.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:59 PM

I think you should have raised more preflop. Then AQs should fold. The minreraise allows someone with a pair to play for set value.

Given that he called, I think he should have check-raised all-in on the flop. It is not an overbet ($125 into a $150 pot), but it represents a lot of strength and it may get hands like JJ and AK to fold. The nut flush draw has a lot of pot equity against anything, but it is hard to get paid off out of position. AQs could be in trouble if a queen comes, but you probably won't lose your stack with KK if an ace comes.