Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Blinds questions

I ran into a situation last week that I was unsure how to resolve.

Towards the end of the tournament, both the small blind and big blind were elminated in the same hand. I was unsure how the blinds work for the next hand.

I had the dealer, the small blind and the big blind all post big blinds (I didn't think it was right to have either the dealer or the small blind skip their big blind obligation....)

Was this wrong?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Blinds questions

I personally would have asked the person who was previously the small blind stay one more hand to deal. This way he deals, previous BB would be the SB (even though he is out), and then previous UTG becomes BB. THis way you don't get two BB, and no one misses their BB obligation.

Not sure if that is 100% correct either, but it makes sense to me.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:14 PM

For the next hand, the Big Blind would rotate as normal to the next player, there would be no Small Blind and the button or dealer would stay as it was in the last hand. This is also known as the "dead button" rule.

The following hand (as long as no one busts out), the Big Blind would rotate and the Small Blind would be posted by the player that posted the Big Blind in the previous round. Just remember that the Big Blind always rotates to the next player.
G$
Old 04-26-2005, 12:21 PM

"Towards the end of the tournament, both the small blind and big blind were elminated in the same hand. I was unsure how the blinds work for the next hand.

I had the dealer, the small blind and the big blind all post big blinds (I didn't think it was right to have either the dealer or the small blind skip their big blind obligation....)

Was this wrong? "

Yes, for two reasons. The non-technical one- look at the pot you just made for anyone calling, getting 3:1! Look at the huge advantage the button has, getting a possible free look and at least 4:1 to call any raise! Even the blinds get twice as much money in the pot guaranteed as they normally would expect, with extra odds to call.

What you should have done- The previous UTG player posts the BB, as they would have anyway if the players hadn't busted out. The button is frozen- the same player has it again, which doesn't change anything.
There is no SB on this hand. Play continues as it normally would, from under-the-gun and around the table.

The hand after, the BB posts the SB, the button is frozen again (again, this doesn't change anything- he would have had a position advantage normally anyway, the button is just an illusion) and the proper player posts the BB.

The following hand, the button finally moves, to the former SB person- as it normally would- and you're good to go.

You always have a BB, the SB appears when it should, and no one puts in an extra blind or misses a blind.
I call it "the blinds pull the button"- not sure if this is my own or stolen- because the button doesn't move until it can move to a previous SB position and no one misses posting the SB or BB when they should.

Is that clear enough? This doesn't apply to heads-up, of course, even if you have two blinds.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:32 PM

Larry's "the blinds pull the button" is a great description of a dead button rule. If you want a "forward moving button" then the button moves to the next live player, no matter who it is and anyone who "missed" a blind must post it. Only the BB you post can be live, any SB posted is dead money. Either is fine but establish it for your house rules and stick to it.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:19 PM

Thanks - that makes a lot more sense. I knew what I did couldn't be right, but I had to come up with something. Anyway - now I know. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Thank you! For the life of me, I couldn't think of the tag phrase that is normally used. I always have to explain it with my phrase to new people, when the term "dead button" doesn't light the bulb over their head.

Anyone know why it was "dead" and not "frozen" button? Is it the missing dead small blind?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 AM

yep, dead on