Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 12:31 PM

Default Later-Stage Tournament Play

Hello,

I have been playing small-limit ($10-$30) NL internet touranments this month and have been doing reasonably well - +100 players in five tournaments (two second place finishes, 6th, 27th, and 56th). My challenge is playing well when at the final table, especially when there are 2-4 players left. I am not altering my game in order to play aggressively enough in these later stages and frequently second-guess myself (and fold) at this point, while waiting for the "right" hand to come along. My play is so obviously weak and predictable that it must be like shooting a fish in a barrel.

My limited poker knowledge has come exclusively from this forum, micro-limit play online, and over 50 sit and go tournaments. Is this a common problem that most tournament players go through? I was wondering if someone could offer some tips on later-stage tournament play, or which additional resources (i.e. books) I should purchase.

Thanks very much,

Nelson
Old 11-13-2002, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Later-Stage Tournament Play

As you have already stated it sounds like you need to be more aggressive. With 2-5 players, limping should be very rare except maybe the blinds or after other limps. Where possible come in with a raise. Be careful of what hands you are cold-calling raises with. Playing your stack and your opponents stack is very important.

Playing 1 table tournies does help the short handed play. On UB they have 6 handed tournies which are also good for short handed play.

Give some examples of some final table hands.

Ken Poklitar
Old 11-14-2002, 12:44 AM

Thanks very much for your response. I will post a number of hands the next time I make a final table. Unfortunaley, it wasn't tonight. In the meantime, how bad was my play on this hand...

Pot-Limit, Blinds 30/60
I have 2000 chips, good for 18th with 60 players left. I am dealt Ah Qd in middle position. Folded to me, I raise 120. New guy that has just joined the table on the button (2465 in chips) calls, sb calls, bb folds.

Flop is Qh 6h Jh, giving me top pair/kicker and the nut-flush draw. I bet 300, he raises 300, I re-raise 600 (probably should have just callled).

Turn is 8s, I went all-in, he called.

River is the 2c

He held a pp of sixes knocking me out.

In retrospect, should I have just called his raise on the flop and bet out on the turn, folding to his raise? I know I played this poorly, especially my all-in intimidation bet on the turn. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks agian.

Nelson
Old 11-14-2002, 06:27 AM

Do you raise 120+60 or 60+60?? AQ off is a hand that you want to play heads up so I would raise the maximum 60+150=210. A bigger raise makes it much harder for the small pairs to call you as their implied odds are cut down.

On the flop your supposed to get all your money in the middle. Depending on stacksizes you do it with a bet and a reraise or a checkraise. It is bad poker to leave money and then go all in when you miss the turn. Why?

Lets look at three different scenarios.
1. Your opponent has 6-6 or 8h-7h. Your a dog but your hand is to good to fold (if you both have 20000 or more a fold might be considered). So you will never fold but if a heart comes on the turn the set, small flush, might not pay you off. Leaving money on the flop will just save money for the opponent.

2. He has Kh-Qs, or similar, and is drawing very slim with 3 outs. If you move all-in on the turn when a blank hits he might fold and that is a catastrope as your a 93% favourite. He will be much more likley to call an all-in on the flop, still as a huge dog (but he doesnīt know that).

3. He has Q-J?? Verry unlikley and I donīt know what to say about this hand. But if your not all-in you might get a free card if a T or K comes on the turn.

Bla bla bla Iīm just rambling now.
But I hope you get the picture.
Good Luck
Purple Haze
Old 11-16-2002, 05:18 PM

Thanks P.H. That was a typo, I did bet the pot pre-flop. It seems my mistake was not going all-in the turn.