Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Aggressive in large pot, correct?

Clear raise preflop, I wasn't paying attention enough because of heavy action at the other tables. Anyway, on the turn once the going gets tough, cap and hope UTG and UTG+1 folds a better hand so my hand can win if another 9 or an A comes? I though that I might as well cap it if it gains me a couple of outs. Now when I look at it it seems like all these guys made bets into this pot on the turn so I don't think anyone is folding. Am I overusing the concept of gaining outs in a large pot here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>
Old 04-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Aggressive in large pot, correct?

Easy raise preflop. Flop bet is fine.

You aren't gaining anything by your turn cap (in terms of folding equity) and it really seems like someone has a straight out there, given the action. I'd call with the intent of raising a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and being very careful if an Ace or a 9 falls.

Rob
Old 04-25-2005, 05:37 PM

Entity, bring back the monkey.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clear raise preflop, I wasn't paying attention enough because of heavy action at the other tables. Anyway, on the turn once the going gets tough, cap and hope UTG and UTG+1 folds a better hand so my hand can win if another 9 or an A comes? I though that I might as well cap it if it gains me a couple of outs. Now when I look at it it seems like all these guys made bets into this pot on the turn so I don't think anyone is folding. Am I overusing the concept of gaining outs in a large pot here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 calls, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it but yeah raise pf.

That turn action is priceless. Everybody showed strength before you capped. Did you really think you were gaining any outs? After MP2 call reraises ahead of you, you need to hit your flush to win here close to 100% of the time I'd guess.

That being said cappeingis fun. It would have been capped anyways. Might as well have a funny hand history to post. LOL!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Chip spewing, more accurately.

The pot is going to be huge, so you're not going to fold anybody that has you beaten. I doubt your pair of 9s is good in this field -- you're only chance to win is to make your flush.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:53 PM

I know my 9's are no good, but if another 9 or and A comes, maybe I will win if I make someone with AJ or the like fold. It's a very small chance but what if they all have two pair?
If it's one bet to me on the river and I close the action, call or fold?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know my 9's are no good, but if another 9 or and A comes, maybe I will win if I make someone with AJ or the like fold. It's a very small chance but what if they all have two pair?
If it's one bet to me on the river and I close the action, call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

AJ is not folding. If they all have two pair (a rather small chance here), you are getting a slight +EV increase on your bet, but it's slim.

If you're asking, after this turn action, if you should call the river UI with one pair, you've got some bigger concerns.

Rob
Old 04-25-2005, 06:09 PM

Would you call with AJ if you were UTG in this hand??? I don't think so. AJ is not calling two cold here, he is folding.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you call with AJ if you were UTG in this hand??? I don't think so. AJ is not calling two cold here, he is folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is Entity calling with AJ here? Probably not. Is the average Party player calling with AJ here? Absolutely.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does AJ check-call this flop?

Your expectations to what hands would likely fold need to be tied to what hands are likely out there. You can't just make them up.