Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Summer Proposition - Can I Win It?

OK, so I made the statement to my friends at college that I can make $20k playing poker online this summer (approx. May16-Sep1). Thry want to bet me a pretty good amount of money that I cant do it. Assume I start of the summer with a $2k roll, playing 2/4 6 max on Stars. After my first 26k hands (13k at .50/1, 10k at 1/2, and 3k at 2/4) I'm a 3.25 BB/100 winner. I have the whole summer to devote to it.

I plan on playing 2/4 for a while, moving up to 3/6, and hopefull within a month or two playing 5/10 on Party. (all 6 max) I have been 4 tabling, but Im certain I can do more.

So, can I do it, and what should my plan be?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Summer Proposition - Can I Win It?

I plan on clearing 40K over the summer at 5/10 6max, and that is while working a 40 hr/week job. We can all have dreams...
Old 04-25-2005, 05:19 PM

20/hr 4 tabling poker is so easy it isnt even funny. Hell if they want to bet a "substantial" amount of money, they you sound like you already are kinda well off, so youve got a big roll. A rake rebate and breakeven play at 5/10 wiil net you $20/hr.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:21 PM

Well when I say substantial, I mean substanital for a college student. That adjective probably doesnt apply for all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 05:23 PM

Unless you go on tilt, jump up to 30/60+ and have an amazing run...my money is on "no".

I'm not saying it's not possible, but if you're foolish enough to think 26k hands is statistically significant...well, just post back after 50k 5/10 hands (and even that is a low figure) and I may have more faith.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:19 PM

yea, u can do it. just play mad amounts of hands and get rakeback.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you go on tilt, jump up to 30/60+ and have an amazing run...my money is on "no".

I'm not saying it's not possible, but if you're foolish enough to think 26k hands is statistically significant...well, just post back after 50k 5/10 hands (and even that is a low figure) and I may have more faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have 100k hands to know that you're outplaying the opposition at 2/4.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well when I say substantial, I mean substanital for a college student. That adjective probably doesnt apply for all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

gotcha.....I just figured if it was substantially enough to make it worth your while, it would be at least enough for a 5/10 BR.

But either way, no its not that hard to do. Especially since it looks like you might already be a winner (sample size is a big issue, but all things considered it likely means at the very least you know half way what you are doing)

Altho, the fact that you had to actually ask if $20/hr is possible makes it likely you don't know enough to actually do it....oh gosh, what to think now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But yeah, through study, and reading this forum, it should be relatively easy to accomplish, especially given rakeback.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:17 PM

No you cant do it. Your still a beginner. (ive read your recent posts) Each time you move up limit you will have to adapt.

You need to get every monthly bonus going if you can spread your bankroll, thats one suggestion for a plan.

Also dont rush up limits, you will surely get screwed.

Sounds also like you have not had a bad run yet. They will come.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:45 PM

Plan to get slapped around a little bit at 5/10 6m before getting the hang of it.