Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 03:34 PM

Default attempted steal with A9o, weird ass board

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

two opponents are a bit loose/highly donkish, although donk #1 has somewhat of a head on his shoulders

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB :#A500AF(Donk#2)/ calls, BB :#A500AF(Donk#1)/ calls.

was a raise bad here being that I had two loose oponnents? or could my attempted steal double as a "marginal value bet"?

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Donk#2 checks, Donk#1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Donk#2 calls, Donk#1 calls.

bet good here?

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Donk#2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Donk#1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Donk#2 calls.

Is my "value call" good here? I am 100% positive here that donk #1 has an ace

River: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Donk#2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Donk#1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Donk#2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Donk#1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Donk#1 calls.

should I have just called here to have donk #2 to call here?

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

thanks for any advice
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: attempted steal with A9o, weird ass board

[ QUOTE ]
was a raise bad here being that I had two loose oponnents? or could my attempted steal double as a "marginal value bet"?

[/ QUOTE ]

An openraise from the button with A9o is definitely for value against players that will defend with almost any two, and go too far with their hands postflop. I'm open-raising A9o from MP3 in a full ring game most times.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:47 PM

preflop: yes, raise with that.

flop: like the bet.
from there i think you're chopping. if you put him on an Ace why do you go buckwild on the river if you checked the turn? reraise the turn, if he 3-bets, just call down because you're only contributing to the rake.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:55 PM

I don't mind the river raise, just in case he has a K (or was really stupid with a J) instead, but capping is just going to increase the rake.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the river raise, just in case he has a K (or was really stupid with a J) instead, but capping is just going to increase the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

At higher limits yes, but since this is .02/.04 I would raise as much as I could.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM

A9 is a very strong hand against only the blinds. You should cap turn+river. You often have someone who will call with a King or worse and I'm sure that at nanolimits a lot of players would think that this is a split or at least they are not sure if they need a kicker.
Please avoid giving names like "donk" to your opponents and never underestimate your opponents. I've played a few times in nanolimit tables and I was a complete maniac. Just for the fun of it. (I actually won $2 in the end! wish it was 2/4)
Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

from there i think you're chopping. if you put him on an Ace why do you go buckwild on the river if you checked the turn? reraise the turn, if he 3-bets, just call down because you're only contributing to the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main question is what was the correct play to extract the most $ from the other donk, who I felt didn't have an ace.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My main question is what was the correct play to extract the most $ from the other donk, who I felt didn't have an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think the bettor has the Ace, you extract .5 BB extra by not raising. in addition, there is no point to capping the river is there? so kinda pointless for 1sb right?

if the bettor doesn't have the Ace, then by raising the turn, you lose the passive player, but gain extra from the bettor anyways. so that's why i think raising the turn is better than just checking to keep the passive "donk" in there.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:18 PM

With 2 opponents you should be raising as much as possible on every street once the board quads. You have more than 33% equity.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 2 opponents you should be raising as much as possible on every street once the board quads. You have more than 33% equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

the turn, i understand. why on the river when it's HU?