Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Grandgnu Going To The WSOP Main Event (*disclaimer*)

*disclaimer* Grandgnu has not yet won his seat, but has high hopes and is jealous of all the posts from players who are already in

This Sunday I play in a 1,000 player tournament on PokerStars, with one lucky SOB winning a $10,000+$200 entry into the main event, plus airfare, hotel and $800 spending cash, courtesy of PokerStars and Bluff Magazine.

It all started with the Fantasy Poker Challenge, kind of like a Fantasy Football League. You pick 4 players for a tournament, and depending on how they finish up, you earn points and prizes (I won a Men The Master bobblehead for a 12th place finish in one event)

Then after all the events have gone through the top 1,000 point leaders compete in the freeroll. The kicker is that you start with 500 measly chips, but for each point earned you get an additional 5 chips to start.

I'm winding up with about 700 points, putting me in the top 50 players in the challenge, so I'll start with 4 grand in chips. I estimate that the current leaders might have twice as many chips as I have, but I'm still in strong shape against most opposition.

They haven't released the results of the final challenge yet, so I don't know if I've moved up or down (was 25th, been bumped down to 40th, not sure if I'm going up or down this event, only Sklansky placed in the money out of my picks) Many others picked Ivey, Mizrachi, etc.

Well, I guess if I go on to win my seat into the WSOP I'll have David Sklansky to thank for the extra chips that made it all possible.

Even if I can beat this field of 1,000 players, I'll still have to contend with upwards of 6,000 players in the WSOP main event to win some money.

Getting married this October, would love a shot at securing our future financially by making it into this event and placing well.

Thanks to all on these forums for the great posts and insight, you've helped improve my game immensely and I hope to do you proud this Sunday and hopefully in the summer as well.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Grandgnu Going To The WSOP Main Event (*disclaimer*)

Wohoo, congrats, all you have to do now is beat a thousand players and then again six-thousand other players.

You're as good as financially secure, yes.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:33 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Grandgnu Going To The WSOP Main Event (*disclaimer*)

[ QUOTE ]
Wohoo, congrats, all you have to do now is beat a thousand players and then again six-thousand other players.

You're as good as financially secure, yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know. I'm giving myself 100:1 odds, I like em'. w00t!

I wonder how many of the 6K players in the main event will get paid? I'm assuming somwhere between 400-800 of them. I'd be happy making anything six figures, although seven is preferable (then I could just buy a house and not have to pay any monthly rent/mortgage anymore)

I'll try not to forget you little people playing 40/80 when I move up in the world. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]