Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 AM

Default PL HE - AQs in BB facing a pot bet ?

Poker stars PL Holdem 20+2

Blinds are 300/600

54 runners left , top 45 pay.

I have had a stack of between 5-8k for about an hour.

Currently in the BB with AQs and my high point of 8K in chips.

Blinds have been passed around for at least 10-15 without a flop and if there was a flop it usually was taken down with a bet.

Tons of steals etc etc.

So now the action: UTG+1 (10K) limps first time I've seen a limp at this table in a very long time.

MP2 (12K) Raises it to POT or 2700 or so.

Folded to me with AQs, in my BB with UTG+1 left to act bind.

Calling would be 2100 into a 4200 pot leaving me ~5000 behind.

Action??
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Re: PL HE - AQs in BB facing a pot bet ?

I prolly fold here with the way you've described it. The limper scares me at an aggressive table such as yours.

Gavin
Old 04-25-2005, 06:36 AM

It's really tough to say. I'm pretty sure MP2 is either on a steal or has medium to low PP. With the table you've described, it doesn't seem like someone would just pot size bet with a real hand. Just a bunch of steals. I'd be worried about UTG+1, but I think you could maybe make him fold his JJ or TT by going over the top of MP2, reraising all-in. After doing this, I'd expect both UTG+1 and MP2 to fold. If MP2 decides to call, I'd expect to see a race.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:43 AM

Geverally, in PL, the correct way to play AA or KK from EP is to limp with it, especially at an aggressive table. This allows you to actually put something behind your bet when someone raises behind you. This way, you can get most of the chips committed on the 2nd raise as opposed to the 3rd if you raised coming in, do you see?

Gavin
Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Geverally, in PL, the correct way to play AA or KK from EP is to limp with it, especially at an aggressive table. This allows you to actually put something behind your bet when someone raises behind you. This way, you can get most of the chips committed on the 2nd raise as opposed to the 3rd if you raised coming in, do you see?

Gavin

[/ QUOTE ]

most of my preflop bets in NLHE (and post-flop) are not overbets (except when i open push with ~9x). i usually open-raise about 2.7x when the blinds get big and my reraises are usually about 3 times as big as the last raise.

so why should it matter if it's PL or NL?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:30 AM

I would probably fold, because you have two players who could have hands. The unusual early position limp is a concern, as Gavin mentioned.

If you are going to play the hand, definately put in a pot sized raise. AQ is a hand to semibluff allin with rather than to see a flop with. If the first player really has a limping hand and the raiser is stealing you might pick up the pot or be the favorite.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM

Yeah if UTG+1 wasn't in the hand I think a reraise is in order. Stealing was going on most hands with few hands seeing flops.

In this case I should've put the MP raiser on a real hand. IF he was stealing he was stealing against 3 player, not just the blinds. That would make his hand that much stronger.

Taking it one step further the limp/reraise potential from UTG+1 makes it all the more obvious that MP2 is on a real hand.

So I missed all the cues and pushed. UTG+1 folds, MP2 thinks and thinks and finally calls with his QQs.

I don't hit my 3 outer and I bust 9 spots from the money.

If UTG+1 isn't in the hand is it an easy call/reraise?

How'd you play it with AKs?

Thanks,

Hotrod
Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 AM

I too would probably fold this (you´re up agianst 2 genuine hands and out of position),BUT this pot can be very big and you hold a solid hand (no guts no glory)
IF I would play this I Call, giving the limper odds to call too (and if he pushes yoú know what he holds).
On a rag flop and a Kxx-flop check/fold.
On any other push. your cold call is a very scary move and since you will get your money in first you will have a smal head-start.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:38 AM

If your are going to flat call, I would push on pretty much any flop. I would push on a rag flop, as you may be ahead with ace high. If you call and the limper raises preflop, I would fold.

I agree both opponents probably have real hands. Your AQs may be best, but it probably isn't worth getting involved.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:47 AM

My tought exatly, I did write IF i would play :-)
The flops I fold is because if i get called i´m a 3 outer at best.