Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 12:49 AM

Default KJs on a capped pre-flop

SB and BB are both somewhat tight and aggressive pre-flop, pretty neutral post-flop. This was the 4th orbit in a row I raised from the button, a couple times with hands, a couple times to steal.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (11 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero ??

OK to call the capped pre-flop?

If I were check/raised on the flop (or turn for that matter), do I need to get away from this hand?

If I were bet at instead of checked to on the flop, what's my line?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: KJs on a capped pre-flop

Scrap that, I might check behind here. What do we beat here that will call us?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:53 AM

That's a fine preflop call. It looks like you may have dodged the overpair bullet, but there's no legitmate preflop 3betting or capping hand you're ahead of once that A hits on the river. Check it behind.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK to call the capped pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep

[ QUOTE ]
If I were check/raised on the flop (or turn for that matter), do I need to get away from this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

A check/raise would be really weird here. I'd call both.

[ QUOTE ]
If I were bet at instead of checked to on the flop, what's my line?

[/ QUOTE ]

One bet I'd raise. Two I'd muck.

Check the river.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 AM

check that, the A is too scary and if you are best your oppoenents are likely to fold
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM

With 2 bets back to me pre-flop I am folding this. The chances of being dominated are too high, particularly if the blinds are tight.

On the river, you have to ask yourself whether you will win 55% of the time that BB calls. I think the answer to this is no, he wouldn't. My guess is that he has AK or AQs (maybe even hearts). I can't think of any other hands that a tight player would cap with and play so weakly on the flop and turn. If my read is right, you are probably not only going to lose the hand but are probably about to get check-raised. Take the free showdown.

As far as the rest of the hand, I think the pot is big enough that you should call any one bet back to you (if SB or BB bets out or check-raises) but fold if SB bets and BB raises. You are pretty much married to the hand, which is why you needed to get away from it pre-flop.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:31 AM

why would you fold this preflop? you have great pot odds for this with flush and straight redraws.

river: check behind. i don't see this as a value bet and if you are beat, most of the time your opponent will fold. not worth the risk IMHO.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:36 AM

I hate checking behind here, but I guess I would. If BB is fishy at all, though, I bet and fold to a raise.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate checking behind here, but I guess I would. If BB is fishy at all, though, I bet and fold to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you think he capped preflop with that wouldn't include an Ace? or a hand that beats you anyways that he was passive with and let you do the betting for him?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think he capped preflop with that wouldn't include an Ace? or a hand that beats you anyways that he was passive with and let you do the betting for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a donk, I put him on "I'm tired of being pushed around from this position by this player" enough times to make this bet good. I think his flop check is really fishy.