Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Default AKo in SB

If I said that cards ran below average for me during this session, that would be putting it nicely. Anywaym should I have raised pre-flop in this situation. I saw it as being OoP and I would get at least 3-4 callers. Cheers.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.10 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($3.10)
UTG+1 ($8.01)
UTG+2 ($8.50)
MP1 ($6.70)
MP2 ($41.81)
MP3 ($10.50)
CO ($14)
Button ($4.50)
Hero ($4.18)
BB ($12.10)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.70) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $0.1</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, Hero folds, BB folds, UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($1.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets $0.5</font>, MP1 folds, CO folds, UTG folds.

Final Pot: $1.60
Old 04-25-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: AKo in SB

Yea, I posted this earlier today, and I didnt get a response. I know this may seem trival to y'all, but I was honestly unsure of how to play this, so any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:18 AM

i'll throw in my .02 here but i am not a pro.. first i would def raise here preflop.. then raise again on flop prob get a couple to fold and i'd say pair of jacks calls you.. then u hit the turn and raise. check/call river!
-Adam
Old 04-25-2005, 12:34 AM

I had thought about raising, but I realized I was OoP, and if I raised I'd mentally commit myself to this pot, cause frankly it was the best hand I had seen in a while. It was a mistake, but I was seening given the huge number of limpers, what was the plan of action.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:10 AM

I would have raised big, actually. AK is a drawing hand, yes, but it's still the 5th best hand in Hold 'Em.

If the players were even halfway decent, they would see a player who hasn't played many hands making a big raise out of position.

Even if they're not, you still have a strong hand and if they're that bad that they don't get something as simple as "rock is betting big" they won't even understand your weaker position and you can outplay them from there if they don't hit the flop - and that flop was ugly...

You make a 6-8xBB raise then come out with a pot-size bet there after that mess of a flop and the only people who call hit trips against the odds. Maybe someone played AT but really, very few legitinate hands would be ahead of you after that flop assuming you limited the competition with a raise.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll throw in my .02 here but i am not a pro.. first i would def raise here preflop.. then raise again on flop prob get a couple to fold and i'd say pair of jacks calls you.. then u hit the turn and raise. check/call river!
-Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be two differing camps on how to play AK in EP
(at least of the choices that seem like they would be profitable).

Adam correctly details how to play the more aggressive of
these camps. Fire a bet like you're holding AA/KK preflop.
Then, follow up with the second barrel on a garbage flop
and give the opposition a chance to fold.

The other camp says to limp in EP. If you whiff on the flop,
fold, as you have very little invested in the pot right now.

My gut feeling tells me that for SSNL, the weaker of the two
options is probably safest for most people, particularly with
deep stacks. Here's why:

1) AK is most likely looking to hit TPTK.
2) TPTK is not strong enough to play for your stack.
3) Even if you nut-no pair is best at the flop, SSNL
tables are known for having people willing to draw
to see the next card; they don't care about no stinkin'
odds.
4) The deeper the stacks, the greater your mistake will be
for playing your TPTK (or nut no pair) too hard if you
are not able to let go.

Regards,
Mike L.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:00 PM

I'd also raise preflop, on the grounds that AKo is not so good playing in a family pot; I'd rather play it against one or two opponents. So I raise to drive others out, especially since everyone at the table has position on me.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:24 PM

Here I commit the cardinal sin and push. Huge overbet, but for small stakes this could get a call easily from AQ, AJ, AT, etc. That being said I'd say my second favorite way of playing this pot would be to put in a medium raise. Maybe make it .40. This probably won't knock out any preflop limpers, but it will give you sick potodds. You're only gonna hit that A or K like 1/3 of the time, but when you do you can build a nice pot because now betting half pot is a dollar. Basically putting in a small raise accomplishes the same thing as limping, however it increases your EV because you're getting your opponents to put more money in when you're the favorite.

I'd also like to mention that you winrate drops drastically when you don't put in a big PF raise. However, you still win more money because when you miss you fold, but when you hit, you have the best handmost of the time and should get action. Basically it's a question of variance vs EV.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:32 PM

you can always push preflop. you probably have the best hand at that point and you'll take down a decent pot when everyone folds most of the time.

it'll also set it up later so that you can push preflop with AA and get callers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

the way you played the hand is fine, if extremely weak. if you can't raise enough preflop to get it heads up or 3-handed without getting pot-committed, then it's fine to complete and play it cautiously.

i'd have probably pushed.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised big, actually. AK is a drawing hand, yes, but it's still the 5th best hand in Hold 'Em.

[/ QUOTE ] The 5th best hand? Where is your proof of this? And my advice is to raise here about the size of the pot. It will get hands like 22-99 out and also drawing hands like 78s. If you get played back at, you have a decision to make based on your read of the player. If you just limp, what happens if the flop comes AA6 and someone has 66? Or even A78? You are certainly ahead of most, if not all the limpers, so why not push your edge with a raise? The only reason not to is your position.