Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 PM

Default How to get to 15/30 and higher most effectively?

I'm curious to know how some of you guys got to 15/30 and higher.

As an aside: Recently I'm just beginning to understand LHE on a higher level than I was previously at, namely thanks to a lot of stuff learned in Sklansky's TOP and Ed Miller's book. I've been playing seriously for about 4 months.

The books have greatly helped my approach to playing 1/2 HE online, and I'm now a winning player after about 10,000 hands. Before that I was a losing player over about 5k hands. Granted, I know that standard deviation could be playing with me, but I am digressing.

I feel like I have the mental and emotional level to learn how to play at 15/30, but right now I'm at 1/2.

How did you guys get to where you are? What is the best way to get to 15/30 and higher?

This encompasses many aspects. How many hands a day? How many hours a day? How many tables at a time? When to incorporate 6-max play? When to move up? When to take shots?

Ideally I'd like to become a regular poster here by this time next year.

I don't want to learn how to make the quickest buck, I want to learn how to get to your level with the most efficient skillset.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: How to get to 15/30 and higher most effectively?

Keep reading, playing and improving. After you make $1800 play 3-6. After you make $3000 play 5-10. I would play $5-10 (if we are talking party) till I made $11k then play 15-30.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:44 PM

hey, clayton, I want you to get the responses you are looking for, but I'm really not sure what to tell you... A year ago I was playing 1-3, 2-4 at Turning Stone, now I am at 15-30 (30-60 when feeling frisky). I moved up slowly, occasionally playing beyond my bankroll, learning how to beat each level. That is one of the most fascinating things, each level has its own characteristics, its own strategies to beat it. As for hours per day.... Dude, just go at your own speed.

GL, hope to see you here soon.

CSC
Old 04-24-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep reading, playing and improving. After you make $1800 play 3-6. After you make $3000 play 5-10. I would play $5-10 (if we are talking party) till I made $11k then play 15-30.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget 10/20 - I love 10/20, unrestrained aggression is often rewarded (more often than at 15/30) but you are, for the first time, learning some of the lessons that you'll need for 15/30 play.

CSC
Old 04-24-2005, 03:49 PM

Be patient and ALWAYS be conservative with bankroll management. 300 BB is not an adequate bankroll as many people would have you believe, always have at least 2 times that. You will learn a lot about the game as you learn to beat each sucessive level, and keep posting.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:26 PM

I don'tagree with that at all. You can take shots at a game with 300bb easy. Say youve got $6000, play the 10/20, if you lose half of it you can go back down to the 5/10 and further down if need be. By waiting for 600bbs you may be wasting a lot of time at a lower limit when you've got the ability to move up. The great thing about online is you can push a relatively small bankroll far, through mulittabling and being prepared to move down if need be.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM

if you're not interested in making money quickly then take your time.

get friends you know who are winning good players to explain their moves while they play while you sweat them. post ahnds here and read read read and study.

think of situations at 15/30 that arise all the time and take a pencil paper and calculator (or excel if you are so inclined) and work out the ev under certain game conditions of different actions.

-Barron
Old 04-24-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're not interested in making money quickly then take your time.

get friends you know who are winning good players to explain their moves while they play while you sweat them. post ahnds here and read read read and study.

think of situations at 15/30 that arise all the time and take a pencil paper and calculator (or excel if you are so inclined) and work out the ev under certain game conditions of different actions.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

The get friends thing is pretty big. I don't think calculating the EV stuff is very important. I've never done much of the math stuff at all.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM

Unfortunately, the only guy I know who even plays online for real money is going to Duke. He didn't seem to get much out of 2+2 either, in spite of my insistence that he try it. His loss, I guess.

I'm going to honors program at UGA, though. There's gotta be other guys going there that approach poker the same way that are going there. 2+2 is the only haven of poker discussion I know.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don'tagree with that at all. You can take shots at a game with 300bb easy. Say youve got $6000, play the 10/20, if you lose half of it you can go back down to the 5/10 and further down if need be. By waiting for 600bbs you may be wasting a lot of time at a lower limit when you've got the ability to move up. The great thing about online is you can push a relatively small bankroll far, through mulittabling and being prepared to move down if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this logic is flat out wrong. You can easily drop 3k in two days playing 10-20, and it's much eaiser if you don't already have the skills to consistently beat the game. I started with $200 playing $10 SNG's last june and was playing 15-30 by february. That's fast enough, and i have always been conservative with bankroll management. I'd like some other players to back me up here, anyone else think it's sound advice to move up limits with that tight a BR?