Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 04:53 PM

Default Just Another Hand of Poker

Pokerstars, .5/1 NL

Been at the table for about 30 mins. About average table. The MP3 reraiser I don't have a strong read on. But reraises before the flop have been rare to nonexistant at the table so far. All players start with around $100.

Here we go.

EP raiser makes it $4 to go. MP3 makes it $16 to go without hesitation. After some deliberation, I call on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . EP raiser also calls the reraise. Uh oh.

Flop comes down: ($48)

2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

They both check (I'm thinking WTF is going on here). Again, after some deliberation I bet the pot ($50) not wanting to give a free card to hands with an A in them - also to extract value from AJs(?) or QQ or a stubborn AK or whatever they have. EP folds and MP3 flat calls the $50. (?) Very strange.

Turn ($150) is a harmless:

8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villian checks. I have $35 left in my stack. Your action on the turn and comments on the rest of the hand. (Hint: I think I F'd it up on the flop)

Thanks.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Just Another Hand of Poker

Well, you only have to be right about 1/6 times (180 something pot) So I push.
I dont know what to put him on. Its hard for me to put him on any of those low cards, especially a pocket pair, so it seems to me like you only have AA to worry about, and as long as he doesn't have AA more than 5 of 6 pushes, i think ur alright.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:36 PM

i would have reraised pre flop. about 3 times the raise. post flop play is not bad though only have to be worried about jj and aa and i dont see a raise of 16x the blind with 22 or 55. be more aggressive with kk in late position for isolation, knock the weak aces out of the hand. if you run into someone having aa then tough one it happens to all of us. but this way you will make that jj put alot into the pot at a 4 to one underdog which is exactly what you want [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2005, 08:01 PM

Anyone think that my bet size on the flop sucked? I'm either way ahead or way behind. Why the hell did I bet the full pot when there are no draws out there?

Comments on the flop bet size or the decision whether to bet at all?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:28 PM

Anyone who would CR with AA would also likely do it with QQ so I doubt you could fold. I don't think you can get away from this hand with such an inoffensive flop and standard NL$100 players.

That said I wouldn't be suprised to see someone flip JJ here.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:47 PM

As soon as the preflop reraiser checked the flop, I felt like he flopped a set of jacks. Despite this feeling I bet the full pot on the flop, and then pushed when he checked to me on the turn. Sure enough, I was shown a set of jacks.

I suppose the preflop reraise with jacks was what made me question my gut feeling since I don't see that many people reraise with that hand.

However, the reraise preflop followed by a check on the flop line is one that I have seen over and over again as indicative of a monster. 90% of players bet out on the flop after reraising preflop when they have just an overpair or a missed AK. I suppose I shoulda gone with my gut feeling, but checking behind on that flop just seemed criminal, and obviously, after making that pot sized bet, I was committed.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:26 PM

Use your position correctly - check behind because you get to see the action on the turn. Or if u are really that concerned with protecting your hand I bet small - do u think theyll really fish with Aq or AK to even a 1/4 pot bet. Furthermore, u can bet the turn if anyone calls and fold to a RR - standard overpair procedure.

Not saying you would call a 3-bet pf with AJ - but imagine u were playing AJ here, which is a nearly identical situation - how would you proceed having been checked to? I play it the same way
Old 04-23-2005, 10:38 PM

Yeah, given the board texture I would see nothing wrong with a bet between 1/3rd and 1/2th the pot, then evaluate your options on fourth street. That check/call reeks of strength, but by that time you only have 30$ left, so if he goes all I think you have to call.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 PM

I really hate giving a free card here. First of all, it doesn't really give you any information, and secondly, what if the next card up is an ace? Giving a free card here would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Betting is the way to go, but Hero bet far more than was necessary.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 PM

What do you guys think of MP2's line in this situation? I think I'd lead out and bet this flop, reasoning that that Hero either has an overpair in which case he'll raise me and I can stack him or Ace-King in which case he's not going to pay me off anyway.

However, checking might induce a bluff. I just don't like checking/calling because it completely reeks of a trap.