Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Default winning online

thanks in advance...ive been playing poker since november..ive studied many books..videos...live poker and tournaments...actually placed 7th in a tournament sponsered by DD tournament poker software...

whats the deal with trying to win with online play.... ive been playing 2/4 holdem...try everything but theres always the people who just stay to the end and draw lucky.. is online play faulty from the get go....should i give it up for live poker only...any ideas...really need some help... <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 04-22-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: winning online

Read more books. I'm confident at least one will talk about the variance in the game and why bad beats are good for you.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM

Try posting some hands in the Small Stakes Hold'em Forum. If you are consistantly losing, you are either the unluckiest player in the world or are making mistakes at the table. I would lean towards the second of the two.

P.S. The online site you describe sounds great...
[ QUOTE ]
always the people who just stay to the end and draw lucky

[/ QUOTE ]
Where do I sign up?

P.P.S.
You are new to the site, so welcome aboard. This link will provide you with good information on posting.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:56 PM

There are distinct differences between online &amp; live. Live has more people orientated information such as visable signs of strength or weakness, confidence or aprehension, and many, many others. However, online, though it doesn't offer the advantages of human contact does give a player a whole lot of really detailed player data via such software as Poker Tracker that I wish had when I play live. Take your pick, each has positives and negatives but make no mistake whether you play live or online you will get sucked out on the river by some fool with their longshot, that I guarantee!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive been playing poker since november

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
try everything but theres always the people who just stay to the end and draw lucky

[/ QUOTE ]

See my posts and TStones posts in the "Best Poker Advice" thread.

Not to mention that you are playing way to high for someone who has only played for 5 months.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:33 AM

Yeah, here's an idea.

People who get their rocks off by posting crap threads like this are pathetic.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...ive been playing poker since november...

[/ QUOTE ]

Others will say the same I am sure, but I will say it also. Five months is a very short amount of time. Keep at it. Drop down if you must.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:31 PM

People do it, there is proof all over the place. If you are losing money at poker in an amount greater than the rake that means the people you are playing with are winning money from you, so that should be proof right there you can win playing online.

Are these opponents truly getting lucky? Or is it a situation where you have found it hard to push draws out of hands. Or you aren't quite getting enough out of your winning hands and thus aren't able to stay about ".500" in your winnings.

There are two ways to go about fixing this issue. One is to continue playing poker and gaining valuable experience while hemorraghing (SP? on that one) money. You will still have to be able to honestly evaluate your play which will be difficult without any guides but if you worked hard enough and were diligent enough in your attention to detail could probably work after several years and many thousands of losses.

The other option is to buy several books including but not limited to and in no particular order: Small Stakes Hold'em (SSHE), Theory of Poker (ToP), Internet Texas Hold'em (ITH), Winning Low Limit Hold'em (WLLHE). Many players on this board don't necessarily recommend anything other than something published by 2+2 but you have to understand your opponents and you have to play a style that fits your personality and reading all of the above books will give you a wide array of plays and styles to not only try but recognize in other players. Those are probably the most popular books that will apply to the limits you are playing. The cost of those books will be around $100 and will allow you to win or at least break even while gaining the valuable hands on experience of actual play. If you are truly serious about being a winning player and choose to fix leaks in your game you can eventually be a solid long term winner even online.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, here's an idea.

People who get their rocks off by posting crap threads like this are pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who are perturbed by a substandard thread and then waste the time to post an unproductive reply are the truly pathetic ones.

(Although by posting this I am calling myself out as one of hte pathetic ones, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], but hey I at least posted a productive reply above to the OP's question)
Old 04-23-2005, 10:20 PM

Iam sorry if the post offended everyone...just looking for some honest advice..thanks to those of you that responded with some thought...no bother to read my post anymore or respond ...