Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Default AA hand

Hi.

$20 SNG.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

CO (t1460)
Button (t1530)
SB (t1210)
BB (t1650)
UTG (t1530)
UTG+1 (t1690)
MP1 (t1395)
MP2 (t1710)
Hero (t1325)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, CO calls t200, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t140.

Flop: (t630) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero ???

Now, surely anyone calling my PF raise must have missed that flop. Would you say I've got to be against big pairs or AK? How much should I bet here? What should my line of reasoning be in this situation.

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AA hand

I would bet enough to make the flush draw expensive. You have a hand that looks to be good with that flop. There might be some loose players that call your PF reraise with 33 44 55 66 (more likely MP2), but you look to be pretty safe from anything but the flush draw. The pot is already juicy and I wouldn't mind taking it down now, but with that non-threatening flop I probably make it 475 to go. If one of your opponents has a flush draw or an overpair to the board they will most likely come along for the ride.

Obviously the problem with a line like this is when the spade hits the turn. For this reason some people will just lay out a pot-sized bet here to make sure they are charging full price for any draws. Which of these options you choose depends on the style of both your play and your opponent's play.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM

I'm interested in people's critique of what I would do in this situation. I'd want the pot right now - make any draw pay. I'd go all in. I wouldn't put the player on 6s and I expect its the wrong play. But I would think a pot size bet would commit me anyway - no?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Bet 2/3 of the pot and go from there.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:08 PM

A pot size bet would pot commit you definately, so its not a half bad idea. You need only truly be worried about a gambooler with two spades, so a pot size bet would indicate to him that the rest is going in on the turn regardless.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:22 PM

I'm more concerned with a set than the spades - after all - I'm losing to a set, but am still ahead of spades (unless he's got the straight flush draw). The reason I'd go all in is that if he calls your pot bet or 2/3 pot bet - where does that put you - even if a spade doesn't come on the turn. Wouldn't you have to slow down - buying him a free card? Go all in and get it over with - if he wants to gamble that's his error. If he's got sixes - you'd be too far in to let go of the hand so you are screwed anyway - he got lucky.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, surely anyone calling my PF raise must have missed that flop. Would you say I've got to be against big pairs or AK?

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt be as sure of this as you are. ive seen far too often players call with position because theyve placed strong showing opponents on a hand. although i cant offer much in terms of what next. i'de be really put off by that flop though.