Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM

Default 2 final table hands - help me make the call

Last night's Empire 15k guaranteed ($55.)

We're five handed out of a field of 260. Pay structure:

1st - $4100
2nd - $2300
3rd - $1600
4th - $1250
5th - $1050

Here are two hands that had me thinking. Chip stacks are:

billyjex - 30k
Player A - 35k
Player B - 110k
Player C - 38k
Player D - 30k

I am dealt A8o UTG. Almost every hand is a raise that takes down the blind. Blinds are 1000/2000 and I raise to 6000.

Chip leader on the button, who is a decent tight aggressive player but a little predictable, a little loose (and willing to gamble with his stack) min-raises me to 10k.

This min-raise is fishy. I put him on QQ-AA, AKs. Givin his hand range, should this be an easy fold back to me? I felt with his min-raise I should call.. so I do.

Flop is 8 4 6 rainbow. I have TPTK. I check to player B, and he immediately puts me all in.

Call or Fold?

Hand #2 - This occured about 2 orbits later. I am the short stack at 20k, blinds are now 1500/3000.

UTG player has 28k and is the tighest player at the table. She was chip leader at around 80k coming into the final table but has dwindled her stack by raising preflop and not calling pushes. She has been content to sit around and fold trying to move up in the standings.

I am UTG+1 and dealt AQo. UTG pushes, which would put me all in. She has a decent hand, but I wouldn't limit her range to just JJ-AA, AK. Do you make the call?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: 2 final table hands - help me make the call

hand 1: i have no idea. i would probably fold to the 3-bet, because i am a coward. once you get there, i think i'd call. it's only a pot-sized bet to you (a little less) and if he is reraising w/ out a big pair, i think he pushes the flop every time.

hand 2: 5-handed with a 7x stack, AQ looks a lot like AA to me. i call.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:31 PM

I think the answer on both those hands is call. The flop bet on #1 certainly is no indication you are beat. The big money in this tourny is top 3 or top 2 really so you need to double up and take the best chance you can get. Hand #2 AQ preflop with those blinds and that stack Ill call every time.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:55 PM

First hand I'm laying down. You really needed 2 8s on that flop to continue. He could have any overpair (or 55 for that matter), but I'd be sure enough he's got a better PP to laydown without a second thought.

AQ I'm smiling and calling, then frowning when she flips her kings, and crying when I say "nh, gg".
Old 04-22-2005, 06:05 PM

Hand 1- I fold preflop. Since you played it I'd say call. What we're you hoping to flop if not this.
Hand 2- Hate calling with AQ but in this position it's almost automatic. Call.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:19 PM

Hand 1 - Easy fold. If your lucky, you might have 6 outs. But really, if there was any reason to call the all-in, your better off pushing to begin with. (BTW - fold A8 PF to the min raise. You were on a steal by raising UTG. Just let it go when challenged.)

Hand 2 - Call. You have 6BBs with the blinds about to hit you. Take a gamble and hope it's a race.

HTH, Steve