Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Albert Einstein on the death penalty

He said:

[ QUOTE ]
I have concluded that elimination of the death penalty is desireable for the following reasons. 1) Irreversibility in case of error, and 2) Moral decay of the societies and individuals performing the executions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without getting into issues of cost, racism or hypocrisy, are Einstein's reasons by themselves a sufficient argument against capital punishment?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Buying bread from a butcher.....

I don't buy bread from a butcher.
I don't buy meat from a baker.

Now if Einstein wants to give his opinions on physics, then I'll listen with extra respect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Buying bread from a butcher.....

Because the man was a brilliant mathematician he isn't qualified to give sound advice about morality?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Albert Einstein on the death penalty

[ QUOTE ]

Without getting into issues of cost, racism or hypocrisy, are Einstein's reasons by themselves a sufficient argument against capital punishment?

[/ QUOTE ] I think so. Clearly the chance that a innocent man dying should be reason enough to stop killing our criminals. IMO, one innocent man dying is just as bad as an innocent child being murdered. As for his second reason, I think an argument can be made for that as well. I don't really know how to explain it, but I also agree with it.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy bread from a butcher.
I don't buy meat from a baker.

Now if Einstein wants to give his opinions on physics, then I'll listen with extra respect. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have "opinions" on physics.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said:

[ QUOTE ]
I have concluded that elimination of the death penalty is desireable for the following reasons. 1) Irreversibility in case of error, and 2) Moral decay of the societies and individuals performing the executions.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The first is a valid point. It argues for stricter standards of proof for captial crimes.

The second, that capital punishment leads to moral decay, is an unsubstantiated hypothesis, an opinion. I'm assuming that Einstein presented no empirical evidence for his opinion. At least there is no reference to any here. Lacking such evidence, why should I give any more credibility to his opinion about an issue outside his field of expertise than I would to anyone else? Because he is smart? David Sklansky is pretty smart too, but I consider his theological opinions to be just that, his opinions. I probably would not be interested in Einstein's opinions about poker either.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:44 PM

When it comes to understanding the morality of society around us does a person have to have special qualifications? I don't understand that.

He's talking about how killing people makes a society sick. Who could argue with that? It's obvious that taking for granted life has done to this country and others like it who practice the death penalty.

And what about 'Thou Shall Not Kill' as empirical evidence?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 PM

"Because the man was a brilliant mathematician he isn't qualified to give sound advice about morality?"
I never said that....BUT I do say...being brilliant at science does not make his opinions on morality more valid than anyone elses. Just like I don't give much weight when a hollywood actor/actress gives their opinions on politcal matters.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
being brilliant at science does not make his opinions on morality more valid than anyone elses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and if all people's opinions are being equal why discount his?
Old 04-21-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and if all people's opinions are being equal why discount his?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is no logical argument for the death penalty so he avoids the real question.