Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 06:26 PM

Default disturbing NLH hand

Sorry, lost the HH so no converter

1/2 NL on pokerstars
Hero (240)
Villain (300+)

Villain is UTG, makes it $10.
Folds to me on button, I contemplate folding TT, but decide stacks are deep enough if I flop a set. I call.
Blinds fold.
Pot=23$

Flop A T 9 rainbow
Villain leads at me for 25$. My note on him is "doesn't like to be pushed around." I double it back to him. He quickly 3 bets it making $75 total. At this point I'm a little worried about a set of aces, but my roomate points out that nobody plays aces this fast on stars. I think for a bit and decide to put him to the test, and massively overbet for my last $150. He goes deep into the tank and calls after maybe 20 seconds.

Thoughts on the overbet and what he would call with here?
Old 04-21-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: disturbing NLH hand

If he really doesn't like to be bullied around, raise more the first time. He surely has an A, so he'll probably do the pushing for you. Make you're raise up to $65 say. There's no way he's going to fold here with an A, and with a hand as low as KK he might fire back if he doesn't like being pushed around. Say he re-raises to $130. Now you're push is a lot less, and he almost has to call with AK.

I wouldn't worry much about aces. If it happens, it happens. Nothing you can do.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Sorry to turn this into a bad beat post, but he called with AK. Turn=9 River=A. Brutal.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:55 PM

You would have been better off letting this one die without results. Tough beat, but you already had a friend there to complain to, didn't you? They happen, and the bottom line is you know you made the right judgment here, so you just need to remember that. Keep your chin up and make the same play next time.

-Trail