Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Trouble with Prima -- CPU Overload/Slow

Hey all,

Trying to play at Prima (virtual city) and when ever it is open my cpu usage shoots to 100% and everything about the table is Slowwwww.

Anyone else with simliar troubles?

Advice?

Thanks, Zoo.

jw
Old 04-21-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Trouble with Prima -- CPU Overload/Slow

This happens with Norton Internet Security 2005 version. It seems that the firewall software doesn't agree with the poker software entirely and lands up straining your CPU.

The current solution for this is just to ensure that you've got the software set as an application that's "permitted" in your firewall settings so that it can make clean connections to the gaming server, thereby running smoothly and not maxing your CPU usage.

If you need a hand in setting up permissions on the firewall, give us a shout. It's the same for all Prima network software.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 AM

Yes - I have the same problem and have been in correspondence with TGC for a while.

Its a conflict with Norton Internet Security and, in my case, there's nothing I can do about it short of disabling the firewall completely.

Attached is a quote from TGC regarding the problem, sent by PM.

[ QUOTE ]

After further investigation regarding this known problem, the reason the green tables are not showing with Norton turned on, is because the client software has to subscribe to certain services to make those tables viewable as well as ensuring that the software runs with minimal strain to your CPU. As you know, Norton is blocking this process.

We have since learned that the fixes provided to allow all updates from the client to pass through Norton do work most of the time. There have however, been a few cases where this simply does not work. The only solution at present is to totally disable Norton before loading the client.

Our developers are looking for an alternative solution to this issue other than the current fix of permitting the software to pass information through the firewall, but are unable to provide any kind of ETA.

So for now, we're stuck and we understand that you wouldn't want to compromise the security of your computer by keeping the firewall software turned off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The CPU issue has only manifested itself recently in one of the upgrades, as far as I can see. Prior to this I'd had no problems, although some of the green 'special' tournaments (including the OIC freeroll) were not showing on my lobby screen. However, I now get 100% usage on a brand new AMD Athlon 4000+ PC with 1Gig of RAM as soon as the application opens.

Sheriff
Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 AM

I had this same prob with both Ladbrokes and Prima software a couple of months ago, I ended up rebuilding my laptop to fix it - I wish I'd known it was Norton causing it.

There is now a guide on Ladbrokes website on how to add their software (Same Microgaming software as Prima) to be permitted by Norton, Link

which might help
Old 04-21-2005, 06:54 AM

Thanks for the link but this is the 'standard' fix referred to in TGC's PM. I've done all this and it doesn't fix the problem so, at present, I can't play any of the Prima skins or Ladbrokes without major computer delays unless I want to disable the firewall completely (which I don't!)

Sheriff
Old 04-21-2005, 06:56 AM

It is not the prima client that is bad, its the firewall. I can play prima with or without firewall without any problems. I do know a few friends that has the same delay and slowproblems and they all have a firewall that is not configured correctly.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:19 PM

Did the "fix" thing.

Still uses 100%

I cant belive that this would not be fixed on the Poker Rooms side.

jw