Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Turning Pro

Old timers recognize me but for newer posters in Jan. my sole source of income became poker. I do also have a small hobby roll for sports betting.

If this post gets some positive feedback I will periodically post on the things I learn and situations that I come across.

I have a wife and 4 children ranging from 2-14. I would not have been able to leave the 9-5 world without the awesome support of my wife. She not only agreed but encouraged the change.

This change meant that she would that she would leave the house, her 2 year old son, and start a fresh career. The steady income does take some of the pressure off when the cards run cold but the crucial issue is insurance.

I know that the single players out there probably can't relate but those with their own ball and chain can. My wife plays hold'em, smokes cigars, likes football, and had held her figure through 4 children.

Another thing that I learned a little about, and is discussed often, is taxes. Keep in mind that I have never been audited but I had a conversation with my tax preparer (H & R Block).

I asked what documentation they will need for next year's tax. I was told all I need are bank statements with deposits and withdrawals. I do not need nor would they use a daily tally of what I won or lost on the site per day. She assured me that they have gone through these kind of audits successfully in the past.

So do you guys want me to occassionally post on what what I learn and interesting hands/situations?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Turning Pro

Welcome back. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

If you post hand histories, make sure you include some hands in which you feel you made mistakes. This is something your previous posts rarely included.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 AM

Turning pro was not the worst decision I ever made, but it was very shortsighted and I regret doing it. I don't recommend it if you enjoy playing poker, because once you have to play, you won't. I look forward to getting a job, even if it sucks and the pay is bad, just because poker is boring and not conducive to social interaction.

just something to think about for anyone out there considering "going pro".
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 AM

I would be interested in the ups and downs of your new lifestyle.

It seems like a good way to make your living if you can make sure that you have a somewhat steady influx of money. Good thing is that you can do it anywhere in the world! That's what's really appealing to me.

I've been playing poker for a couple of months now and I have no wish at this point to pursue a pro career in it. I own a bar in Amsterdam and I enjoy it immensly. It would be nice to have somewhat of a residual income through it though and I would read your posts with interest to see if that's an attainable goal.

I'm adding this thread to my favorites!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Buster, how many hours do you play a week, and how many weeks has poker been your profession?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turning pro was not the worst decision I ever made, but it was very shortsighted and I regret doing it. I don't recommend it if you enjoy playing poker, because once you have to play, you won't. I look forward to getting a job, even if it sucks and the pay is bad, just because poker is boring and not conducive to social interaction.

just something to think about for anyone out there considering "going pro".

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy poker as much today as I did last year. Sorry to hear that once you "had" to play it took the fun out of it for you.

What I would suggest for those that may get bored by playing larger blocks of time is to take up new games like Omaha, Stud, and all of the variations including tourneys.

If you don't enjoy it though I agree it is time to get a normal job.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:24 AM

It's been my profession for about 6 months. I started out playing a lot, now I try to procrastinate whenever possible.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM

I'd be very interested to how things progrss for you. The "I'm turning pro" threads pop up from time to time, but your situation is a bit different than most. Ususally, the poster is young still in/ just out of school, but you a little later into you life... wife, kids, concerned about insurance, etc.

I would love to hear not so much about the hands you played (or didn't play) but rather about the "lifestyle". Pros and cons.

Good luck. I hope your successful and happy.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would love to hear not so much about the hands you played (or didn't play) but rather about the "lifestyle". Pros and cons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh I'll have to post on my sit down with the inlaws.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:49 AM

I agree that it's very boring, maybe worse than a job, the money is better though. I have cut my play to 4-5 hours per day and dread the starting time everyday, but if I don't play I don't get paid. You can cruise drinking coffee, staff meetings, etc at a job and rarely put solid time in. In poker it's 1000s of decisions per hour and if you don't put the time there is no $ at the end of the month. I have no interest in the game, except as a vehicle to extract money. I suspect the higher limits I move to , the less hours I'll put in, at least that has been the trend till now.