Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Flopping a flush at Party $1000 NL

Im posting this for a friend...I was watching him play this hand and was curious what you guys do in this situation?

Comments on all streets are welcome.

Party NL $1000

Button ($1327.5)
SB ($1005)
BB ($976)

My friend is in BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Preflop: Button limps, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: ($15) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, Button calls $20, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $100</font>, BB calls $80, Button calls $80.

Turn: ($315) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font> SB bets $200, BB...

My thought was make it $500 and see if the SB is serious...but then if he raises you are pot committed and prob should have just gone allin yourself as you might have a little bit of fold equity against another low flush...

What is your guys' line here?
Old 04-20-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Flopping a flush at Party $1000 NL

BTW is suck at NL so my advice prob blows..if you have an opinion lets hear it.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:59 AM

i hate being in this situation. but i think it is pretty clear where the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is located, and that is in the mitt of the button. now whether or not there is another heart to go along with it and he already has the nuts, is up in the air. if that is the case, he is probably loving the flop action and can't wait to see a non-pairing non-heart on the turn.

but i must say i am curious why there are 3 people to the flop and the pot only has 15 dollars in it?
Old 04-20-2005, 05:15 AM

Good point--I observed the HH file and tried to use Bison's converter but it doens't work like that so then i edited it by hand--missed that problem about the pot size--whoops.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Raising doesn't feel quite right for these stack sizes, as you're putting a big portion / all of your stack at risk in a spot where your holding, while strong, is far from the nuts.

I'm inclined to believe that the button may hold any of AAh, AhQ, or any set, and believe he's good. Of course, he can also hold a number of flushes that beat you.

I probably flat call the $200, expecting this to slow down the bettor substantially if I'm good. If a good card hits and it's checked to me, I'm value betting. If he bets small, I'm calling. If he bets huge again, I'm in a tough spot and may muck. Note that I would play the nut flush exactly like this, so it'll be hard for the bettor to fire with confidence on the river.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 04-20-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If a good card hits and it's checked to me, I'm value betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

you really think you can value bet the river after this much action? if i had, say, a K high flush and i was villain, i could see check raising this river, putting hero on AhQ or something like that. By this point with all the action, AhQ must know he is no good by the river, so maybe he bluffs at it? So if I am sitting on the K high flush, I might check raise this river, or at the very least check with a better hand (maybe just check call) to induce a bluff.

It may be tight, but I don't value bet this river if checked to me.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:37 PM

I really can't believe some of the advice on here lately. calling 200 and then folding a flush on a blank river getting better than 2:1 strikes me as a horrible play. note that hero can raise exactly 666 more, making raising easily the best play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. raising anything less than allin is silly, hero doesn't even have a pot sized raise left. I can't imagine doing anything but moving in or folding the turn, and folding is too opponent specific to comment on.

sure villian can have a flush, but he can also have a set or two pair and is trying to protect it against a one card flush draw.

--turnipmonster
Old 04-20-2005, 05:04 PM

ive seen some interesting advice so far in this thread. on the turn, i definitely cant see calling and folding the river. i probably push the turn. holla
Old 04-20-2005, 05:22 PM

if hero isnt willing to put the chips in here he needs to muck this hand to no bet without seeing the flop

get it in! always being worried about flush under flush is like constantly wanting to fold sets. youre getting hot action from way too many other hands here, turnip is dead on.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising doesn't feel quite right for these stack sizes, as you're putting a big portion / all of your stack at risk in a spot where your holding, while strong, is far from the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably an obvious comment, but this is not the kind of thinking that drives winning big bet play.