Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 09:15 PM

Default I Feel Uncomfortable In These Situations

I hate these situations, where I go for a blind steal in late position with a hand I think is probably best, and the big blind decides to call and does something tricky on the flop. This guy is a total sucker (but honestly I was not completely sure of this fact until a few minutes later).

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: I Feel Uncomfortable In These Situations

I like the steal raise preflop and the auto bet on the flop. The call on the flop of the raise is good too.

I just don't feel right about calling on the turn. He took the lead on the flop and continued betting the turn. He may have a ten, a pocket pair or something like that. I don't think ace high can be good. Unless he picked up some kind of backdoor flush draw. I don't like calling the turn unless you're planning to raise the river.

I don't like calling the river because there's not much you can beat. You can only beat a bluff. He's represented a full, if he was on some flush draw on the turn, he just got there on the river. I think folding is best, then raising and calling to be worst on the river.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Against an unknown I'm folding this turn.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:27 PM

Once he bets the turn, I feel fairly confident that he has a T or a pair. Confident enough, anyway, given the cost of calling down and your chances of improvement that folding is correct.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:32 PM

I probably would have just folded to the flop checkraise. Although there's some chance BB is checkraise-bluffing, figuring that the flop missed you, I think it's more likely that you're behind. And, if you are, you probably don't have many outs. True, you wouldn't be in such horrible shape against a hand like 33, and you'd have chopping outs to go with kicker outs versus something like A9, but I think usually Villain will have something at least a little bit better than those hands.

I don't know. If I'd seen BB making a lot of tricky plays or I had him pegged as a LAG, then I'd be more inclined to call down.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have just folded to the flop checkraise. Although there's some chance BB is checkraise-bluffing, figuring that the flop missed you, I think it's more likely that you're behind. And, if you are, you probably don't have many outs. True, you wouldn't be in such horrible shape against a hand like 33, and you'd have chopping outs to go with kicker outs versus something like A9, but I think usually Villain will have something at least a little bit better than those hands.

I don't know. If I'd seen BB making a lot of tricky plays or I had him pegged as a LAG, then I'd be more inclined to call down.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 11:04 PM

honestly in funky blind stealing situations like this i'd either like to turn it up a notch (3-bet the flop or raise the turn) or let this one go. i feel like calling the flop with the intention of calling down unimproved is weak.

were you just trying to squeeze one off and the 4 convinced you to continue?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have just folded to the flop checkraise

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call the flop checkraise here because of the backdoor flush draw possibility. If all I had was the Ace outs I fold on the flop.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:10 PM

It's a flop that calls out for a bluff. It obviously is really hard to defend against the possible steal back flop check-raise. If he was getting tricky I would pop the turn and take a free showdown, folding to a 3 bet (and probably to a river stop and go UI). But mostly I think folding the turn is the right play most of the time. I think this is one of those cases where "solid" at small stakes becomes weak tight at middle limits.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I probably would have just folded to the flop checkraise

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call the flop checkraise here because of the backdoor flush draw possibility. If all I had was the Ace outs I fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the backdoor flush is a factor, and I would be tempted to see the turn. Partly this would be just to see if BB wanted to lead the turn, but, you know, after someone checkraises the flop heads-up, he almost always does lead the turn, in my experience.

Part of the problem is that (assuming we're behind), while catching a 6 or even a 10 could put us in the lead, and a jack, queen, or king could catch us up to a tie, we don't know which cards help us. If Villain is checkraising A8, I'm not going to know I just caught up when a king falls on the turn, and I'm going to fold (unless that king is a heart) when BB inevitably fires again.

If a ten or six falls, on the other hand, I guess I'm seeing the river (and probably a showdown, especially with a six). But I think catching a ten will just end up costing me more money, more often than not, and the same is probably true for a six.

Anyway, though, I struggle in these blind-stealing situations, and I'm not really sure what's best.