Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Good News for Current/Wannabe Pro Players...

One of the major considerations of a lot of aspiring poker players is how long will this boom last... no-one can say conclusively what will happen in the future, but reports like this bode well for the future! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Online poker to be dominant net gambling option

A recent report has predicted that within 2-3 years poker will be the most popular online gambling option.

Leading consulting firm MECN (Media & Entertainment Consulting Network) produced the report, which analyzes trends in online poker, one of the hottest areas of internet growth in recent years.

The report highlights internet gambling and internet poker in particular as areas that have seen a huge surge in customer interest.

-The amount gambled worldwide on poker websites in 2005 is estimated to be more that $60billion.

-More than 60% of the industry experts who were surveyed said that online poker would become the dominant online gambling option within the next 2-3 years.

-75% of industry experts agreed that the rake or commission taken by poker sites over the next 2-3 years would be worth in excess of $4billion.

Geographically, it looks as if Europe will be the success story of the next few years, with 52% of industry experts saying that it holds the greatest future potential for online poker.

However, the report also goes on to point out that increasing competition will make the online poker market much tougher, and that internet poker operators will have to adopt appropriate strategies to ensure future success.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Good News for Current/Wannabe Pro Players...

Cool.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:30 PM

"However, the report also goes on to point out that increasing competition will make the online poker market much tougher, and that internet poker operators will have to adopt appropriate strategies to ensure future success. "

Good, more competition between the sites mean better options/deals for us.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:31 PM

This is good news indeed.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-19-2005, 06:37 PM

A boom in Europe would lead to better off time (for us) games too. At least maybe better afternoon games.

Here's hoping the moralists in our government don't get a big head of steam to do something about it...

--Zetack
Old 04-19-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A boom in Europe would lead to better off time (for us) games too. At least maybe better afternoon games.

Here's hoping the moralists in our government don't get a big head of steam to do something about it...

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I want Asia involved too... 24/7 goodness would most likely follow.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I want Asia involved too... 24/7 goodness would most likely follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asians don't tend to play American games all that much in my experience, but gambling is such a regular and perfectly acceptable activity in so many of their cultures that even a small percentage of Asians getting into poker would be a poker explosion. I definitely hope it happens.

I'm fully prepared to see them kick American and European ass when it does, too.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, the possibility of that looks like the main reason that the major success is being touted as happening in Europe.

Bow idiotic it would be for the most American of games to be legislated against in the land of its birth and taken over by Europeans.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:36 PM

$60 billion? I'm not getting my fair share, need to up my table count.