Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Hand from Super Monday - easy preflop laydown?

Not too much background here. I have TC1400, 3rd level, about 50 minutes in. Blinds 15/30. Big stack at my table has TC4500.

I admit to still needing to learn a LOT about tournaments, and perhaps this hand is indicative of how much I really have to learn.

Preflop: EMP raises to 90. He is a pretty tight player. I have 10 10 in LMP. I feel like all three options are available to me here, but seeing as how it's early in the tournament, I chose to call and hopefully see a flop.

Folded to the table chip leader in the SB who bumps it to 300. EMP thinks and folds. I think for awhile and ultimately decide to call.

Is that the worst line I can take? My logic was that the big stack may be bullying a bit, preying on tight players. If the flop comes low cards, I may be in great shape.

Flop: the flop comes 8 7 3. SB pushes all-in, easily covering me. I think he would do this with AK (do most people do this with AK?). I call after thinking for a second or two. He flips over JJ and I'm out.

Please analyze the play. In retrospect, folding after the raise to 300 is probably right (in general and given the results), but I couldn't bring myself to do it. With that preflop call, I had to then call on the flop.

Any and all serious comments welcome. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Hand from Super Monday - easy preflop laydown?

Your coldcall is fine, I don't like a reraise b/c you said he's a tight player, so better to see the flop in position. Then when the SB makes it 300, I think you can call b/c you might still have the best hand on a ragged flop, and when you add that to the combo of times you hit your Ten when behind, I think you can call the 300 also. So I think I'd call but not like it so much, b/c you're putting a lot of your stack out there.

When he moves in, you have to be prepared to dump your hand, even tho it's an overpair.

Most players don't do this w/ AK on that flop.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
EMP raises to 90. He is a pretty tight player. I have 10 10 in LMP. I feel like all three options are available to me here

[/ QUOTE ]

i think folding here would be way too tight. i like the call.

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to the table chip leader in the SB who bumps it to 300. EMP thinks and folds. I think for awhile and ultimately decide to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a tough spot. i'd probably call and be willing to go broke if i flop an overpair.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:51 PM

I think both calls are fine,so long as you don't get broke when you flop an overpair.

whoops.

I would go call, call, fold on that one.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both calls are fine,so long as you don't get broke when you flop an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

hero has T1100 and the pot is T720. what's your line if villain bets 400? call and fold if he bets again? fold?

if you're going to fold to the first bet then you're playing almost exclusively for set value (except when villain checks to you, which i think will be rare). and i'd definitely fold 33 to the second raise, so that would make folding TT pre-flop right also.

so i guess calling the flop and folding the turn is right?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

whoops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the problem. If I'm calling, I have to think, at least at some level, that if I flop an overpair, I'm good.

I guess I can't see the value in calling preflop, calling a reraise preflop, and then folding on the flop when the flop comes undercards.

I can certainly see flops for cheaper trying to hit a set, so at some level, this is not a play just to hit a set. It's a play bc I might have the best hand.

I guess the key to the hand is whether the big stack makes that push with AK as a semi-bluff where he may in fact have the best hand in some situations.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

whoops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly the problem. If I'm calling, I have to think, at least at some level, that if I flop an overpair, I'm good.

I guess I can't see the value in calling preflop, calling a reraise preflop, and then folding on the flop when the flop comes undercards.

I can certainly see flops for cheaper trying to hit a set, so at some level, this is not a play just to hit a set. It's a play bc I might have the best hand.

I guess the key to the hand is whether the big stack makes that push with AK as a semi-bluff where he may in fact have the best hand in some situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true to a certain extent but you have to be willing to adjust your read based on your opponent's actions. So when he pushes the flop, it's more likely you're beat and less likely he has AK. Just don't get locked into one read and stick w/ it.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

whoops.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true to a certain extent but you have to be willing to adjust your read based on your opponent's actions. So when he pushes the flop, it's more likely you're beat and less likely he has AK. Just don't get locked into one read and stick w/ it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is really good advice and something I don't do enough of. I frequently don't give the raiser/flop bettor enough credit in situations like that.

Sort of related: what % of the time do you think the flop bettor has AK there or a pair lower than mine?
Old 04-19-2005, 05:35 PM

I would lay it down for sure, I had that happened to me last week in a live tournament, I was MP and I found QQ, I made a raise of 3 times the BB, the button called me and the BB raised, I thought about it for a minutes and then layed it down, the button called and he had AQ against the BB KK who flopped a set and ended up winning the hand
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 PM

I would try to think ahead to what the chip leader is likely to do on the flop. If you call you have ~1k behind, ~700 in the pot, and I would guess, acting first, he is going to put you to the test on any flop.

Your call means you have a hand worth playing and want to see a flop. Because you did not raise, he now has control. I think your two choices are re-raise, or fold.

I like his bet. With hands like 99-JJ you would like to take it down pre-flop. If you can't take it down right away then acting first heads-up you may hit your set, flop unders, or represent if high cards hit. All good things.

With no other reads my thought is, "don't mess with the chip leader here". But, if you chose to play, calling makes playing the flop very difficult and a re-raise is the best line.