Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Playing with a Kill

I had two questions re Kill games

1) In order to get the kill game started do you have to win two qualifing pots that is 5 times the big blind consectutively or just 2 consecutive pots qaulifing or not?

2) It seems that your stlye of play shouldnt change. You are really only playing for higher stakes e.g 2-4 vs 1-2

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Playing with a Kill

1) I believe it can go either way. However, i have only played in games where any two consecutive pots won result in a kill.

2) That is correct, but be aware that others may tighten up a little and that some players like to protect their kill button/chip.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 AM

1. In my personal experience, the amount of the pot never mattered. If the player won 2 consecutive pots, the kill went into effect.

2. Some players may tighten up a little for that round but overall your style should not change much. Unlike, for example, going from 2-4 to 20-40, double stakes is not a huge change in skill.

A8
Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 03:31 PM

2) Remember that the player posting the kill has a random hand . Against the killer, especially when he is on your right, you want to loosen your raising requirements. This becomes especially useful because other players at the table will be playing tighter than usual and will be more willing to allow you to isolate the killer.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) In order to get the kill game started do you have to win two qualifing pots that is 5 times the big blind consectutively or just 2 consecutive pots qaulifing or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it varies with the cardroom.

I'm guessing you might be interested in the same kill game I am, $5/10 kill hold'em at Foxwoods, so here's what I've learned from asking the floors:

- The kill is a full kill (to $10/20)
- It's invoked by a player winning two straight pots, provided that the second pot is $100 (10 BBet, 20 BBl) or more.
- The kill remains in play until a hand with a pot of < $100.

This last rule is the flaky one; since the game looks pretty loose, I'm guessing some 75% of the hands must be $10/20, but all the floors say is "It varies."

Apologies if I've gotten details wrong; can anyone who plays this game regularly give me a sense of how many hands are kill hands?

FWIW in the $5/10 kill Omaha 8/b I don't know if the rules are the same, but I'm pretty sure you have to scoop a pot of the prescribed size rather than win two hands.