Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 11:55 PM

Default A tricky trapping play, good or bad ? 2/4 NL

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($495.12)
Button ($511.77)
SB ($112.24)
BB ($694.1)
UTG ($476.7)
UTG+1 ($0)
MP1 ($487)
MP2 ($967.26)
MP3 ($400)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, Button calls $18, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($46) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $9</font>, Hero calls $9.

Turn: ($64) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $61</font>, Hero calls $61.

River: ($186) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $183</font>,

I dont know my opponent a lot, I havent played much against him, but he seem to be an active player.

On the flop I tought that I would not get much action with a bet, so I checked hoping that he try a bluff, think that his middle pocket pair is good or catch a pair on the turn.

So he bet, and I decide to call, not wanting to give up my hand for now.

On the turn I still tought that a bet would not be called so I checked again. My plan was to call his bet and the bet out on the river. I tought that there was not much chance that he had the flush draw, but Im still thinking about a check-raise here.

On the river I wanted to bet out, but the third heart stopped my value bet, so I checked again...

then he come with a full-sized bet and I ?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: A tricky trapping play, good or bad ? 2/4 NL

call, you are ahead here often but certainly not often enough to raise. YOu have shown absolutely no strength (other than pre-flop) so opponent may have a wide range of hands (bluff, 2 pair, hearts, set, queen)....I checkraise to $140 on the turn but i don't hate the way you played it.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
call, you are ahead here often but certainly not often enough to raise. YOu have shown absolutely no strength (other than pre-flop) so opponent may have a wide range of hands (bluff, 2 pair, hearts, set, queen)....I checkraise to $140 on the turn but i don't hate the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only $140? You are pricing in a flush draw perfectly
Old 04-19-2005, 07:55 AM

If i had reason to believe my opponent had a flush draw i would bet more. As it is the chances of that are slim and i want to try to get some action with my monster
Old 04-19-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
YOu have shown absolutely no strength

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think hero is showing quite a bit of strength here.

SpaceAce
Old 04-19-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think hero is showing quite a bit of strength here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I'd just call the river.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:42 AM

I'm not sure I like your play, because what do you think it looks like? You raised PF, and now you call down? He has to be thinking you either have a Q or a PP TT-AA. There's absolutely zero else you can call that flop with, so I think I probably try to check/raise on the flop if you have the right image (i.e. if you resteal somewhat often). The way you played it though, I call the river.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the river I wanted to bet out, but the third heart stopped my value bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you think it's likely he has the flush? That seems more than a bit weak. Or because you figure he's more likely to keep bluffing when the flush hits? Given a read that could be more plausible, but it should certainly point you towards a call here. It depends on what sort of "active" the villain here is, but I don't think you have any reason to think you're beat.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:47 PM

I tought it was less likely that he would call me with a marginal hand with the flush out. I would also hate being raised here.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 AM

I think it's pretty silly to not bet this flop. if i for some reason was checked to on a paired board after a PFR and then had my 1/4 PSB smoothcalled I'd be thinking QQ. checking this flop is just too weird.

do you check that flop when you have AK? if not, why not bet when you have a hand you like as well as when you're bluffing...

fim