Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Question from a Low Limit Player

Hi All,

I really only play Low Limit games right now (nothing bigger than 5-10) but I read a lot about playing in the higher limits, to keep myself learning as much as possible.

As I read through this forum, I keep coming across what looks like ratings for other players that I don't understand. It's a 3 number system (or occasionally a 2 number system) separated by slashes, that looks something like this - 28/12/2.3 Occassionally it's accompanied by the abbreviation VPIP.

Can anyone give me a brief explanation of what this means? Or point me to a place that gives a definition?

Thanks for the help - and sorry to bother you guys! I'll head back to my simple low limit browsings now! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Question from a Low Limit Player

There is a computer program called Poker Tracker. (www.pokertracker.com) Basically, it records all Hold'em hands that you have played. Often, you'll play against the same players day after day. When you are in the middle of a hand, you can look at how your opponent plays. These numbers are statistics that tell you how loose and aggressive your opponent is. If your opponent is very loose, you might change your play from a fold to a call, for instance.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:03 PM

These numbers are generated by Poker Tracker

28/12/2.4

Percentage of times a player sees the flop (not a blind)(28%)/percentage of times he raises preflop(12%)/post flop aggression (calculated by (bets + raises)/calls)2.4
Old 04-18-2005, 11:07 PM

To be specific the 1st number is the VP$IP (Voluntarily Put $ in Pot), the second is their preflop raise %, the last is called post flop aggression. It is calculated by dividing the total number of bets and raises (by street) by the total # of calls.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 PM

Wow - that was quick!

Thanks for the info! So I guess Poker Tracker is a pretty good thing to invest in for playing online then?

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 PM

Yes, Get a Pokertracker!!!!