Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 09:17 PM

Default two 88 hands

sorry if it seems like i'm flooding the boards lately, just having alot of questions. villian in this hand is a very loose passive fish. is my river play good? villian is so passive he would call all the way with top pair, but would probably raise if he rivered trips. i wanted to show my hand but not for two bets.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

BB in this hand is loose and aggressive preflop, but very passive post flop. CO seems like a decent player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: two 88 hands

hand 1 - bet/fold the river if you're sure he's not bluff raising with trips. the thing with check/call is that a 7 will check behind so you lose a bet there when he would have called. also, after you check the loose/passive is only going to bet with a hand that has you crushed... so i don't like your chances once he bets.

hand 2 - tough spot... i might 3-bet this flop as CO is a decent player - he'll be raising with overcards pretty frequently here, trying for a free card. given that you didn't 3-bet, i like the stop and go. bb's check/raise sucks, given your read and the fact that he called 2 cold on the flop then check/raised the turn - i think i'd call the turn looking to spike one of your 6 outs, but i don't know if i'd pay off on the river.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM

Hand 1: I'd raise preflop, knock out the bb and get it heads up if possible with a little dead money in the pot, especially since the lone limper is bad. If you feel your read is solid on the river (that he'd call all the way with top pair but raise trips), I don't see why you don't bet/fold. If he's loose/passive he probably isn't bluffing a whole lot. Likewise, he probably won't bluff a busted draw (not that he could have one, maybe A high?) or bet a lower pair, but he may call with one. As long he isn't tricky, I think bet/fold is correct.

Hand 2:
Like the flop bet to protect your hand if it is the best, but seeing BB call two cold isn't cool. What were you doing with the turn bet if CO raised again? With the gutshot plus overpair, I definetly peel and probably call the river. I don't know that it's correct but if the opponent is loose and aggressive preflop, there's a decent enough chance that he may occassionally do so postflop even if that isn't his normal style.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Hand 1
Raise PF
Flop: Good
Turn: Good
River:
[ QUOTE ]
villian is so passive he would call all the way with top pair, but would probably raise if he rivered trips.

[/ QUOTE ]
You said it yourself, bet and fold to a raise. Done.

Hand 2:

Preflop: okay
Flop: Nice bet, I'm wondering who 3-bets and why. Planning a stop and go is cool though.
Turn: I do like the stop and go. Maybe this is bad but against the player you described I would fold the turn. He has a 4. He called two bets cold on the flop. Raise the turn, smells like a 4 or 55.
River: Now that you are here you gotta call.

Edit: After reading the other replies I realized I failed to see the gutshot draw on the turn in hand 2. It's been a long day. Go ahead and call the turn.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM

Hand 1) I don't understand why you would want to continue with pocket eights in a 3-sb pot. But if you do fire on the flop I say you gotta check/fold the turn UI. This seems like a MAJOR LEAK IMO.

Hand 2) I'd probably release on the turn when BB comes out of nowhere with a check/raise.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1) I don't understand why you would want to continue with pocket eights in a 3-sb pot. But if you do fire on the flop I say you gotta check/fold the turn UI. This seems like a MAJOR LEAK IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cause he probably has the best hand against a person that will call down with some very weaker holdings.
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2) I'd probably release on the turn when BB comes out of nowhere with a check/raise

[/ QUOTE ]
Like myself you failed to see the gutshot on the turn, reduce it a bit and combine it with the 2 8 outs and you have more than enough to call the turn.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:37 AM

Hand 1: Raise preflop and bet the river.

Hand 2: I don't mind the stop and go, but I think I would fold the river to the BB's better hand. He check/raised the turn after calling two cold on the flop...done without an 8 or 7.