Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 02:09 PM

Default A UB tourney report

I love the 120k guarenteed on UB. The structure is fantastic, the players are my kind of bad, and its just fun to play.

Getting Chips.
I LAG it up in the extreme at the beginning of these things, so of course my biggest wins come from getting real cards when somebody makes a stand. So, I won a lot of chips from 55 with AQ on a QQx board. I picked up AA on the BB and got limp reraised from the SB by 66. Then I ran my chips up for a while doing aggro type things. Then a really interesting hand came up.

A very good player who knows who I am raised UTG. I'm in MP with KQs. I think this player is capable of folding marginal hands to a reraise, and is also capable of stealing from UTG. I repop it. He calls, whooops. Ok, so now the flop comes Kxx and he leads out. I have no idea what that means (although probably not KK). I call. Turn is a Q. I think thats a good card, but he still might have a hand like QQ there, but at least I'm ahead of AA and AK. I'd be more specific with numbers but it was late and i was tired, and I dont have the HH now. River pairs the board, and im now losing to AA as well. Basically I beat AK, and a weirdly played JJ.....oh and apparently 77, which is what he had after we checked the river through. A few hands later i finished him off by sucking out on his QQ with 1010 all-in preflop.

So, now I'm chipleader. I limp QJ in ep and another big stack raises. I call, flop is 910x, I check and he bets the pot, I call. Turn is a J, and I check he bets the min and I call. River is a blank and I check. Now the villain bets the pot again. On phenomenon ive noticed on UB is that when players "switch buttons" they hate the card. If they just get called though they will often go back to betting the pot figuring they are winning. I called and he showed A10, MHIG.

I played big stack poker for a while, won a couple of coinflips, and then this last interesting hand came up. I have an extremels big stack, like 300k. Villain in this hand is either 2nd or 3rd in chips with about 90k. I raise to 2.5x from MP with A10s. 1 player calls from LP and then the SB min reraises. I call, as does LP. Flop comes Axx and the SB checks. I check behind and then LP bets 5k into about a 25k pot (numbers are very rough in my head). I now bump it to 20 or 30k and LP folds. The SB now goes all-in. I throw-up a little in my mouth, and agonize over it. I finally decide I'm gonna have to grit my teeth and take my medicine for making this a big pot and call. Villain has QQ and once again, MHIG.

Nothing interesting happened for a while, and then I misclicked and put an extra 0 in a bet heads-up. He had top trips, and 2 hands later I get 2nd. A little dissapointing but, 23k helps ease the pain [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Old 04-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: A UB tourney report

Congrats bro! You are my hero, serioulsy. Keep it up! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Awesome job!!!

Congrats.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:32 PM

well that's ok i guess. but i thought we had a deal that this morning i would see that you had won. i guess you'll just have to wait for the main event to get your betting amounts correct at the final table. well played and congrats.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Luck box Luck Box Luck Box

Nice that we won on the same day. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What next?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:56 PM

"Then I ran my chips up for a while doing aggro type things"

I'd be curious to hear some specifics on the above. Another nice finish.

JT
Old 04-18-2005, 03:06 PM

Congrats on the big score!

[ QUOTE ]
Getting Chips.
I LAG it up in the extreme at the beginning of these things

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully subscribe to the accumulate early line in MTT, and have had great success in rebuy tourneys, when you can just keep rebuying until you get a stack. I do well once I have a stack, but in freeze outs I have a real hard time accumulating. When you say you lag it up are you limping any 2 late? playing un-suited connectors or 1-gaps? how far do u go? I have tried many things, but without much success. When I do pick up a draw on the flop what do I do to a pot sized bet, which on UB seems automatic? I have a hard time drawing when I am facing pot sized bets, is this part of my problem? If there is a link detailing this, I would love to have it. I have searched, but have a hard time getting good results.

I have seen where people have posted each hand they played at the end of a tourney, has anyone ever done this for the early stages? I would love to see what the better players are doing early on.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM

Ok, here's a hand i remember. I'm no the button, and the CO, who has a about 1/7 of my stack open minraises. I make it 3 times their bet. CO. I don't remember what the flop was, but the CO bet into me. I raised to about half of CO's stack. CO folded.

Oh, and I had 72o. No joke.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:10 PM

I call raises in position with a wide range of drawing hands, Axs, Kxs, suited conenctors, one gappers, sometimes two gappers. I never ever make a pot sized bet, I'm committing small amounts of chips, like half pot bets, to a lot of hands, but not often putting a lot of chips into a pot when i dont have a hand.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:19 PM

MLG - do you have AIM? If so im me at "bhcmikey". Thanks! -Mike