Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Default 20/40 hand, Too loose of 5th?

I saw a turbofish, villain in this hand, playing at a 2 handed 20/40 table. I called on 5th thinking my ace gives me extra outs. Miserable call? Go back to the kiddie pool? I'm the turbofish?

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 20/40 hand, Too loose of 5th?

On fifth, it looks like you need to hit runner runner to win. You have a lot of draws, but you have hit perfectly two streets in a row. It doesn't look like you have the pot odds to call but i could be wrong on that.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Yeah, I'd fold fifth.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:32 PM

Perhaps I am a little too tight, but I think I would fold on 4'th. Really don't like chasing straights past 4'th unless it is a four straight. The three flush pushes this a little closer to the edge for me, but I would also fold fifth for sure. Hopefully, seat 8 didn't hit a miracle flush himself, but it does not appear likely since he didn't re-raise you on the river.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:10 PM

HEPFAP player's recommends chasing 60% of the time. I figure since its a raised pot, my opponents Q is slightly dead, I have a 3 flush, and 3 str8, I think it makes 4th a pretty easy call.

Fifth was probably miserable, and is indicative of why I am not making more $$$.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Third and fourth were clear calls, fifth a clear fold. But you knew that.

Mike Emery
Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM

Nice catch. I'll have to read the section of HEPFAP where it tells you how to play stud.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:46 PM

Default I agree with U,Mike...

While Oppo. seems to have either 2 big Prs or a higher Str8 draw,Beer needs runner-runner for a flush--his only reasonable out. Second-tier play becomes very expensive in this spot. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Anyway,congrats for taking it down,Beer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
SittingBull
Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 PM

I might be to tight too because I would definately not take this hand past fourth. Why try to draw out on a fish? I dont feel there is any reason to. You know that if you just make simple moves with decent to strong hands you will beat them. I fold fourth!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:20 PM

Please explain the call on fourth. I do not understand [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That might be why the highest Stud i play is 5/10.