Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Anything look really bad about my pt stats (other than my win rate?)

Hi all,

Since moving from Pacific to Party I have been basically breaking even. It is discouraging as at one point around 3k hands I was up to 8BB/100 and after last night at almost 8k hands I am down to .02BB/100. Do these stats look ok?

Game Level .50/1
Total Hands 7743
VP$IP 22.08
VP$IP SB 37.30
Folded SB to steal 79.31
Folded BB to steal 71.43
Att To Steal Blinds 26.97
Won $ WSF % 28.84
Amount Won $1.18
BB/100 Hands .02
Went to SD % 32.33
Won $ At SD % 50.70
PF Raise % 9.00

I noticed my downswing starting around 2k hands ago and I stopped using the ssh loose chart at all (unless I am reaaally sure that it applies - I had pretty much always used it at pacific) and I think this was part of my problem, but I have continued to slide since then and I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything else too bad.

Thanks for your help!
D5
Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Anything look really bad about my pt stats (other than my win rate?)

Aggression factor?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Anything look really bad about my pt stats (other than my win rate?)

FWIW, you're VP might be a tad high depending upon your post flop skills. Does it seem you might be limping in with a few marginal hands and then maybe calling "one more" to see the flop?

A major leak discovered last night is my ability to see monsters under the bed and fold some nice pots when raised in front of me on the turn. The rest of your stats I'll let others comment on.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:30 AM

So over the past 5000 hands you've lost 240 BB? Something is seriously wrong; that is not just variance.

This is just speculation, but I am guessing that your post-flop play has some major leaks. Your preflop stats look okay for a strong post-flop player, but 22% VPIP is definitely too high if you aren't good post-flop. Likewise, 9% PFR is probably too high if you aren't able to handle the post-flop play appropriately.

If you're going to follow a preflop chart, use the "tight" chart. It will get your VPIP to ~17 and your PFR to ~7. Eventually you'll want to expand on that, but you need to get your post-flop house in order first.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 AM

***STAMP***
Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but 22% VPIP is definitely too high if you aren't good post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a REALLY important point that recently has been sitting quietly in the back of the room since everyone in the micro forum has recently begun to shout about how everyone should be loosening up preflop.

To the OP: Were you winning at Pacific, and then losing at Party? Or were all those 8k hands at Party?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but 22% VPIP is definitely too high if you aren't good post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a REALLY important point that recently has been sitting quietly in the back of the room since everyone in the micro forum has recently begun to shout about how everyone should be loosening up preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you propose people get good at postflop play then? It certainly isn't by playing AA all the time. You can read all the books and threads you want, but experience and evaluating the hands you've played are the most important tools for advancing your level of skill. If you never jump into the pool how are you supposed to learn how to swim?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 AM

I think there's a lot to be said for getting comfortable with common situations, and then branching out from there.

To take just one simple example, a lot of beginners are extremely uncomfortable with overcards. (How many posts have we seen where somebody raises with AK, misses the flop, and then seems lost the rest of the hand)? These sorts of hands come up all the time even for the rockiest of rocks.

Asking a new player to learn how to handle overcards AND how to handle J8s from MP when you flopped bottom pair and a backdoor flush draw and its one bet to you on the flop with two callers and a couple players yet to act is probably too much for most people.

Basically my argument is that it's much easier to learn calculus after first mastering algebra.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Anything look really bad about my pt stats (other than my win rate

Your'e too loose PF.

You don't raise enough PF relative to the number of hands you play. But you do raiuse about right for the number of hands you should be playing. Keep an eye on PFR as you moderarte your VPIP.

W$SD is on the good side of borderline. It should be higher, and you may need to let go of a few more marginal hands or bluffs/bluff catchers at the end.

Try to get away from using PF hand charts. Your goal should be to be able to make the correct PF decision based on game conditions.

Playing & studying 1/2 6m might help your endgame.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:00 AM

I'd agree that you need a solid foundation in the basics before branching out to more marginal preflop situations. I guess I was assuming a basic level of postflop play, which might not be true in this or any case.

Also, calculus is easy. Statistics is hard, although playing poker has helped me with that a bit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]