Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Live $500 Tourney, Turned trips

$500 home buy-in tourney, 24 players started, top six get paid at 35%-25%-15%-10%-8%-7%. For the most part, a solid field. It’s a two-day tourney with a ton of play, 10K in starting chips, and the blinds are loosely modeled after those in the WSOP.

This hand takes place less than an hour into the second day. Blinds are 100-200, no antes yet. There are 18 players remaining in the tourney.

Players of note:

MP – One of the better players at the table, TAG, I’ve played with him a bunch. 12.5K stack.
Button – Copmlete unknown, 4500 stack
I’m in the big blind with about 17K.

Our table is nine-handed. Four folds, and MP opens up for 600. Button calls, and I call for 400 more in the BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Three of us to the flop with 1900 in the pot.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Checked around.

Turn comes 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, MP bets 1500, button smooth-calls, my action? Should I have led the turn for 1500 or so?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Live $500 Tourney, Turned trips

Nobody thinks this hand is interesting? I really had to think about this one. In hindsight, I wish I'd have led out at the turn, because I didn't really feel comfortable with action when it got back to me, particularly because the button called in an obvious push/fold situation. Like I said though, I was completely unfamiliar with his play.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:13 PM

I think I make a big reraise here. If they both fold its fine, otherwise you want to get MP out and play for the buttons stack. Also, if the button calls all-in and MP calls your gonna be protected from getting bluffed on the river.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:45 PM

I think a re-raise here is your best play. You're most likely ahead, although the button flat call for 1/3 of his stack maybe a bit scary. You might have to pay him off if he flopped a set.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:08 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

It's likely that your opponents hold an Ace with a good kicker, perhaps flopped two pair or a straight draw for the loose player.

Either way, in my opinion, you are way ahead at this point with trip 5's, I don't put either of your opponents on a flopped set. I re-raise, perhaps all-in even. That should force a straight-drawing LAG player to get out of the way, and you're a huge favorite with trips against someone with just a pair of Aces.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:45 PM

Do you think the button would play pkt 10's this way?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think the button would play pkt 10's this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, he did.

I check-raised all-in, MP folded, and button called with his tens. I think this hand was going to play out this way regardless (me pay off the button), but I couldn't help but think that leading out on the turn may have been the optimal play, because that way I wouldn't have doubled up MP if he was the one with TT or AA.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:12 AM

i'd lead the turn. i think that after a TAG villain raises pre-flop and then checks a relatively draw-free A-high board, there's a decent chance he's got AK/AQ. if you can lead into him and get a raise, that'll help you build a nice big pot (i'd call the raise and lead the river). if villain has JJ-KK, you'd probably prefer to check b/c he's more likely to call a bet on the river than on the turn, and he almost certainly won't call bets on the turn and river. but i think that AK/AQ is more likely, so i like a turn bet.

given the action, i'd go ahead and c/r the turn up to 4k or 4.5k and be willing to get all-in.