Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Theory Recommendations?

Hey everyone.
I have a question for you all. I have been playing Hold Em now alot for the last 5 months or so and have been getting better everytime I play.
I was told to read some poker theory as that would greatly improve my game. I thought, cool sounds like a plan.
So I was checkin for articles online and couldnt really find any that actually taught me anything, just a bunch of sites offering to sell me books.
I have read some excerpts from the leading theory book HPFAP and the reading litterally blew my mind. I thought I was half retarded or something because I couldnt understand anything.
So after that little novel, my question is this. Can anyone recommend some reading material that isn't so harsh for a begginner? I would prefer to read something online for free, but if I have to buy a book, I will, just as long as it's not too expensive (Im a student) and as long as I can understand it.

Thanks alot,
BonzeMalone.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Theory Recommendations?

What specific concepts were you having trouble with? Also which ones do you already know?

You might have been a bit ahead of yourself jumping straight to HPFAP. First try Low Stakes Hold Em, It explained everything very easily for me and gave many examples for each concept. Also another must read is the THeory of Poker, I have not gotten the chance to read it yet (I'm also a poor college student) because I have very selectively chosen the books I buy.

You are going to have to pay for SSHE, but it is worth it. Once you have read that and understand it (it will take one read through, followed by a second read with a hi-lighter), then move onto HPFAP and possibly the THeory of POker.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:54 AM

Right on, thanks Bartman.
I prolly did get way ahead of myself like u said, at least that's what I'll tell myself from now on. lol
I'll check out those books you suggested.
Thanks again,

Bonze.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read some excerpts from the leading theory book HPFAP and the reading litterally blew my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but who needs intelligibility in a poker book anyway? Just follow that book's advice and you can buy all the Hemingway books you desire. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(Fwiw I don't think the book is THAT poorly written, just a bit disorganized, but the introductory note I'm referring to has got to be the most asinine thing S or M has ever written.)
Old 04-18-2005, 04:18 PM

I was in the same place you were a few months ago and picked up -- on a lot of recommendations -- Winning Low-Limit Hold'em by Jones (2nd ed.)

I cannot recommend this book highly enough for a beginnner. Easy to read, super-clear and solid playing advice. I feel that my game has completely turned around because of it and I also feel like I'm getting well prepped to move on to TOP and SSHE.

PS - I have read the entire Jones book probably 5 times by now with additional studying of certain sections. Going back and forth between book and play really helps reinforce ideas, etc.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but if I have to buy a book, I will, just as long as it's not too expensive (Im a student) and as long as I can understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot afford NOT to buy the books. they will pay for themselves very quickly. buy them, buy them now. specificly, buy:

Winning Low limit Hold 'em, Lee Jones
Theroy of Poker, Sklansky and Malmuth
Small Stakes Hold 'em, Ed Miller

HEPFAP can wait till you're playing bigger games and are already a consistant winner at the small stakes games, but i'd buy it now anyway. all four books should run you about 100$ at Amazon.

If you can only afford one book and want a very broad overveiw of strategy, psychology, money managment, and theroy, try Gary Carson's "The Complete Book of Hold 'em Poker" it has a bunch of not-quite-perfect advice, and you'll be using it as a doorstop in a couple months, but it is a great starting point, IMO, and costs only like 15$.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 AM

You can start at any local libray the books are free. I do recommend at some point buying some of the better ones but you can at least get started with no investment
Old 04-19-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can start at any local libray the books are free.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always forget that. good idea.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Y]ou'll be using [Carson's book as a doorstop in a couple months....

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go quite that far. It was the first poker book I ever bought, and I've skimmed through it a couple of times after reading HEPFAP at least once and studying SSHE many times through. It's not useless, but it's certainly not as in-depth as those two (better organized than HEPFAP though!), and I agree that the Jones book is a better intro.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:50 PM

"It was the first poker book I ever bought, and I've skimmed through it a couple of times after reading HEPFAP at least once and studying SSHE many times through. It's not useless, but it's certainly not as in-depth as those two"

yeah... i do think it has what a lot of other begginner books lack- a basic overveiw of almost every component of the (limit)game. theroy, strategy, psychology, etc. it's the book i loan out to my buddies that are just getting started in poker, along with WLLHE.

I geuss this book would be my first reccomendation to a player that doesn't know anything about poker, although miller's 'getting started in hold 'em' should be out soon, and i expect it to replace carson's book in my library.