Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Was this the right play or reckless?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (7 handed) converter

SB (t930)
BB (t1200)
UTG (t540)
MP1 (t4710)
Hero (t5215)
CO (t2360)
Button (t5045)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t1400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t900.

Flop: (t3100) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t1500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3000</font>, Button calls [t2145] t1500, Hero calls t645.

Turn: (t8245) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t8245) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t8245

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jh Jc (full house, jacks full of fives).
Button has Kd Ac (one pair, fives).
Outcome: Hero wins t8245. </font>

One read I had on the button was that he was trying to push his stack around for quite a few hands at this point and he was LAG.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Was this the right play or reckless?

You did good.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:56 PM

What type of tourney is this? Stacks don't match up to a 1table. I really hate this hand since you're both big stacks and you have no need to play a big pot. The re-raise by button indicates this, and you should already know that at best you'll most likely be up against a coinflip.

PF raise was fine, but the re-raise really scares me, unless you've been making lots of these open raises before on steals which might indicate your opponent has a weaker hand than necessary to re-raise you. Your check/raise on the flop was pretty bad since you should have just raised all-in instead of the mini-raise, in addition to the fact I hate the whole check/raise together. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Villain played it exactly like he had the Ac+over (at least), and the all-in instead of the call of your mini-raise was just a desperation move since he was already way over the line of being pot-committed.

An argument could be made though of folding PF to that re-raise, especially if it comes from a solid opponent. Also, pushing around his stack at this point and being a LAG could mean a lot of things. Was he just playing his stack properly or was he just plain out of line?

I have a question though, is this a results-oriented type of post where you're trying to get confirmation that you played it correctly, or would you have posted this if he had the AcAx, KcKx, QcQx and you outdrew him out the turn?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:56 PM

Well played post flop, but UT is gator bait [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
I may have not called the re-raise PF though. No reason to get my big stack busted up w/ JJ
Old 04-18-2005, 12:12 AM

I don't like the checkraise, just push the flop.

You really don't want something like AxQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] to get a free look at the turn.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:37 AM

My appologies, This was meant for multi table. Sorry bout that but yes this guy tried just a few hands before that one to push a guy all-in with 83s the guy folded the he shows the cards. The guy was really being kinda crazy. Also I would have posted this hand either way. I thought I was being a little pushy myself with the JJ hand but I guess this guy pushing his stack around got me a little rowled up. Thanks for the help and sorry for posting that multi table question here.