Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Simple $200 + $25 hand

$200 + $25 NLH event at the Bike. Last hand before the first break. Blinds are 10 and 25; I have ~700 in chips. Everyone folds and I make it 75 on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The big blind calls.

The big blind hasn't been at the table long so I don't have much of a read on him and vice versa. In an earlier hand he limped for 25, then called a substantial raise (125 or 150 total, I can't remember which) with what must have been a suited connector. He limped, his LHO raised, two people called and he called. When the preflop raiser pushed his remaining 300 on the flop he agonized for a long time before folding, commenting that he had a pair ("I have a nine.") and put the raiser on AK but couldn't bring himself to call.

I haven't really been involved in any hands since he joined the table.

Anyways, the big blind calls. He has me covered. The flop is J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet 100. He asks how much I have left, then merely calls after a couple seconds. The turn is the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He instantly moves in.

I thought for a while and concluded that my hand must be good here enough of the time to make a call clearly correct. Am I crazy?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Simple $200 + $25 hand

If he's a solid player and has a strong ace, I can't see why he'd overbet the pot like that. But given your description he seems not-so-solid. I guess I lay it down.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Simple $200 + $25 hand

If you hit that ace you will call him, he knows this but isnt afraid. So either he has an ace or something better.

I think you're beat - fold.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
If he's a solid player and has a strong ace, I can't see why he'd overbet the pot like that. But given your description he seems not-so-solid. I guess I lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it wasn't that much of an overbet, since I had only 500 or so chips left. But I was thinking along a similar line.

If my opponent in fact had a pair in the one hand I saw him play, he absolutely butchered it. The pot was offering him 2.67-1; how can he not call with 5 outs and a decent chance (in his mind) that he has the best hand? It's not as if the call would've crippled him.

So, operating under the assumption that he wasn't very good, I reasoned that he wasn't capable of representing a bluff to induce a call. It looked like he was thinking of setting me in on the flop. I don't think he was considering implied odds when he asked how many chips I had left. The ace is a perfect scare card, but he may have been planning on stacking off no matter what fell on the turn.

Then again, it's also possible he was thinking on only the first level all along, and simply bet when he made his hand. In which case I outsmarted myself. He had A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I was out.