Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Stars Rebuy - Calling All-In w/AK

The tourney is down to the final 200 players (99 make the $). Blinds are at 1000-2000, 100 Ante.

I'm in the Small Blind with AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and T22,000 behind. UTG (reasonable player) moves All-In for T13,500.

It's folded around to the table chip leader (who hasn't played a hand since I was moved to the table, 30 minutes ago), who moves All-In for T56,000.

I put UTG on any pair, and most Aces. The table chip leader, well, I haven't seen him play a hand, but I figure he is playing fairly tight, sitting on his chips. So, I would put him on pairs 88 and above, AK, AQ.

Is this a call? And is it close? My 1st inclination was to fold, but then I thought, with the blinds about to go up to 1500-3000, and my stack size, perhaps I shouldn't be folding a chance to almost triple my stack.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Augie
Old 04-17-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Stars Rebuy - Calling All-In w/AK

Given your stack size and still 100 spots from the cash this has to be an instant call. Chip leader looks like he's certainly trying to isolate against small stack but I would be surprised to see him turn over AA's/KK's here with 99's- QQ's more likely. You can't pass on this opportunity to almost triple up at this point in the tourny.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:58 AM

FOLD!
Actually now that I think about it... FOLD!
When in doubt, FOLD!

Seriously one of them probaly has your A or K outs, maybe even AK at best in which your behind with a split pot to look forward to.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:31 AM

Hey look another weak-tight newbie. Let me guess he should try to stall and fold into the money?

Very easy call given the blinds, your stack, and the payout schedule. Only 10 BBs here and a chance to almost triple, you need to take this god given opportunity. Not too mention with the side pot you can come in 2nd and still be at about where you started. And with the big stack isolating AQ is a strong possibility.

-sloth
Old 04-17-2005, 03:32 AM

Hey look, another loose aggressive donk!

j/k
Old 04-17-2005, 03:35 AM

But, is it really that LAG?
Old 04-17-2005, 03:42 AM

Nah, it looks to me like he wants to isolate the low stack all-inner that probably has something weak, and his own hand isn't strong enough to let others in.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:32 AM

Results:

I called. UTG shows A2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and Big Stack shows QQ. Needless to say, the Queens held up, and I bust out 193rd.

Thanks for the replies.

Augie
Old 04-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Too bad on the result, but it was a chance worth taking. If you fold, you would have just posted another hand where you bust out later. To get far into these tournaments you need to win hands like this. This is a great chance to accumulate chips, you need to take it. You weren't in a bad position when the cards were turned over (better if the first player also had a pair so you have one more A) but it was a strong possibility that the big stack is trying to isolate with a AJ-AQ, so you could have been a favorite too.