Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Anybody have a problem with this turn play? 93s in the BB

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (8 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>..

Final Pot: huh

With a hand this weak, I'm generally not unwilling to give a free card, but I thought the turn bet/fold was mandatory, and it'll give me a clear indication to check/fold a 3-flush on the river. MP2 Villain was a reliable tool who'd call down down with J-high essentially every hand, Button was a TAG.

I've been told before that a weak lead like this on the flop is a terrible plan, but I don't know how else to play this.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 AM

Default Re: Anybody have a problem with this turn play? 93s in the BB

If you aren't worried about MP2, then this is a great play, esp. on river. I assume raise on turn/river = fold?
Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 AM

I'm less inclined to bet out with a pair of 9s since its more likely for someone to have a higher kicker. (T9s, J9s, 89s)

I think a better line would to be the old stop'n go. The second Q on the turn is a great card to throw a bet out after calling the flop.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:44 AM

The easiest fold in the world, especially on the turn. If I'd seen either one of them bluff raise the river on a broken draw, I'd call down.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:01 AM

I like this line a lor here. Are you check/folding a non-Q turn UI?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:21 AM

Easy check/fold on the flop IMO. Even if you're lucky that your pair is good you have to dodge a lot of bullets turn and river to win this small pot.

After betting out I'm folding when the TAG raises.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 AM

I think check/folding a drawless board (other than the flush) when I've got mid pair is a mistake. I don't know what bullets you're talking about. I'm still thinking about what to do on the turn when a non-Q comes up. I think any overcard to the 9 I'm dumping it, anything else I'm bet/folding.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:07 AM

The only draw on this board isn't the flush - howbout KJ, KT, JT, AT, J8, T8. Of course you could already by beat by KQ, QJ, QT, Q9, Q8, A9, K9, J9, T9, 99, 98, or 44.

I would not bet out on this flop. I may consider checkraising a bet from the button.

Edit: Since you did bet out on the flop, I like your turn bet if you think the button is likely to raise on a draw. I like the river bet too, since you said MP will call down with anything.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:07 AM

And almost all of those hands that are currently beating me will raise on the turn, aside from the mid pair hands. I'm sure he'd be raising 99 and JT preflop to isolate the idiot, perhaps T9 as well. He'd raise every gutshot preflop you listed except for J8 and T8, and those are pretty poorly to play against a bad limper who'd call down with anything.

I'm guilty of playing mid pair hands too aggressively on the flop anyway and then playing them too far, but it apparently looks like the consensus is either a c/r from the button's bet or a c/c bet.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:11 AM

The limper could also have any of these hands and not raise.