Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Home game help

I am playing in a home game with blinds of .25/.5 and 30 dollar buyins. I am in EP with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I raise it to 3 (about standard), and a tight passive player who does not usually play more than penny ante games raises me another 5. I think, and fold. I have about $45 and he has me covered.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Home game help

How many people were in the game? Since it's a home game, I'm assuming it is short handed? If so, I would definitely call and see what happens. People will re-raise a much wider range of hands short handed. Although the fact that he only plays very small stakes certainly does mean that his re-raising standards will probably stay tight. Still, you have implied odds to hit your set here, if you assume he will stack off on a Txx flop (which I think is probably a fairly good assumption, if he has AA/KK). And if he WON'T stack off on an all-unders flop, then that means you can push him off his hand. So, I would call, if this is shorthanded, and then see how the flop treats me and how he behaves. Live, you can often get a very good sense.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 AM

Even if you call and you hit your T and he stacks off on the flop every time you spike a T....

I still don't think you have the odds to call. Losing play. Foldem. They're no more good. Less he has AK but then you're in a tricky spot. If you're unsure... or unwilling to play in such marginal spots. best to fold.

If stacks were $100 and you knew hed probably stack off on whatever... then maybe.

PLEASE blast me if i'm way off here.

Matt
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 AM

You have 5 to call to win 45. That is good enough. And you might have the best hand already. And you might win without showdown if you don't have the best hand. It sounds like villain might be playing with scared money. I would love to play a big pot with him when I know what he has and he doesn't know what I have.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:09 AM

The call is very marginal and would depend largely on a read. Saying you have implied odds to spike a set is a stretch at best. That means you have to stack him every time you spike a set, not lose money when you don't, etc, etc. You don't have implied odds if you KNOW you're behind. If you don't know if you're ahead it's going to be impossible to play the flop out of position as you have no idea what you want to see. Your only bet on the flop is allin (the size of the pot), although you could half pot it and fold to a push, but thats a very weak line. You're out of position with a hand that's likely beat, and if it's not beat you're going to be hard pressed to find out. Pick a better spot without a compelling read. Nice fold.