Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 04:29 AM

Default 2 different pocket pair hands

These happened on the same table. For the first one, I'd been there a couple orbits. The table was loose aggressive pre-flop and pretty passive post-flop (matters more for the first hand, I think).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (14.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

On the flop, I was raising to see whether or not SB had a Queen or pocket 4's, and figured no one should be cold calling without those behind me. Is that correct here?

On the turn, I figured I could call with outs from my gutshot, plus the 5's. How dirty is a 5 with that gutshot board, though?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Qc Kh (one pair, queens).
Button has As 2c (two pair, aces and twos).
SB has 4c 4s (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: SB wins 17.50 BB. </font>

Here's a pocket pair at the other end of the spectrum. Villain is pretty loose. I forget the exact VPIP, but it was about 50% in about 30 hands. His PFR was 15.3%, so I figured there was a lot he could cap PF with. He was also aggressive post-flop.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (12.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (15.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB

Am I right to call him down on the later streets after he caps PF and flop? Keep applying pressure? Don't think I can bail because the pot's pretty big and like I said above, I figure there's a fair amount he could cap with PF, although it's hard not to put him on AA.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kc Ks (one pair, kings).
CO has Ah Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: CO wins 17.75 BB. </font>

TIA for your thoughts/advice. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: 2 different pocket pair hands

Hand 1- personally i prob would have folded the flop, you have a beaten or extremely vulnerable hand, but since you played the flop you need to fold this turn. You are in a bad position here with a strong risk of being raised.

On the turn you dont have pot odds to call for the gutshot. If you were closing the action you would be ok. But your position sux with MP1 betting out and u stuck in the middle.

Hand 2- I would lead and 3 bet the turn, if capped id check/call the river. Otherwise i lead the river. You slowed down too early here.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:55 PM

Makes sense, I wasn't taking position into account on the first hand on the turn. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:04 PM

On hand 2, I think I would lead the turn, but I don't think I would 3bet. Of the typical PF 3betting hands, AA-TT and AK, we're only ahead of TT, AK, and QQ now, and I don't think that AK would raise this turn. Bet/call, and then call on the river.

Edit: Hmmm, I missed the read. Even so, I think I would bet/call the turn, unless I knew that villain would 3bet anything he'd raise with and would cap a lot of UI overcards on the flop.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:08 PM

lets start with hand 2..yea.. i think you call it down
now hand 1...lets see..you have....a pair of fives!!
not much to be pushing with IMO.
My bet is you are not even second best hand.
unless you think table is insane, when you miss flop with 55..be looking to fold..fast
Brian
Old 04-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Hand 1:

I'd raise preflop to buy the button and fold out the blinds.

Fold the flop, the typical 0.5/1 player wont usually bet into 3 opponents here without at least a Queen.

Fold the turn, the pot isn't big enough to continue. There's also the threat of someone raising behind you which is horrible for you.

Hand 2:

You slowed down a bit too soon. I would lead the turn and calldown if raised.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:11 PM

hand 1: fold on the flop, I play small pocket pairs to make a set, if I don't make a set I don't continue with the hand.

Hand 2: Looks good to me.