Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Way ahead? or way behind? $50 NL game

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $50 (10 handed) converter

MP1 (Dr.Evil) ($70.6)
MP2 ($30.7)
MP3 ($38.6)
CO ($32.5)
Button ($25.05)
SB ($20.1)
BB ($68)
UTG ($37)
Hero ($56.9)
UTG+2 ($71.5)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, UTG+2 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 (Dr.Evil) raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls $8, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: ($22.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>,
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 (Dr.Evil) raises to $60.6 and is all-In</font>

So Which is it? Am I a winner or a big dog?

Matt
Old 04-16-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Way ahead? or way behind? $50 NL game

well you only have 26 left right? id be inclined to call without a read.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:47 AM

I agree, with 70% of your stack in you should call, but don't be too surprised to see AA. I would think your range of hands here should be AA-QQ without a read, probably weighted more towards AA, KK. AKs if you're up against a real idiot, but I can't really see anything other AA or KK pushing unless they are desperate, especially with the hugs preflop raise.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:31 AM

Well,

I thought about it for a long time, and folded. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have about $26 left.. the pot is now.... about $90.
3.5:1 or so right...

After I led into him on the flop for $20 (probably too much) but I figured only a maniac would play back at me with less then AA. or TT in this spot... because like y'all noticed I'm pretty much committed. Even a call could be read as AA in this spot.

If he doesn't have those hands then he has a tough call to make. Maybe I give my opponenets too much credit.

I think I could have chosen a better line to take this hand? Checked on the flop and let it go to a potsized bet and reraised anything less than that?

I did spend 1/2 my stack on that hand... But I wanted to put the other 1/2 in a better spot. Just didn't feel right. I have to be right most of the time in these spots especially with the pot as big as it was.. I'd say I was about %80 sure that it was AA.

PLEASE blast me for incorrect thinking here.

Matt

PS: Hit 1k BR and moved to the $100 tables last night.. wish me luck.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well,

I thought about it for a long time, and folded. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I have about $26 left.. the pot is now.... about $90.
3.5:1 or so right...

After I led into him on the flop for $20 (probably too much) but I figured only a maniac would play back at me with less then AA. or TT in this spot... because like y'all noticed I'm pretty much committed. Even a call could be read as AA in this spot.

If he doesn't have those hands then he has a tough call to make. Maybe I give my opponenets too much credit.

I think I could have chosen a better line to take this hand? Checked on the flop and let it go to a potsized bet and reraised anything less than that?

I did spend 1/2 my stack on that hand... But I wanted to put the other 1/2 in a better spot. Just didn't feel right. I have to be right most of the time in these spots especially with the pot as big as it was.. I'd say I was about %80 sure that it was AA.

PLEASE blast me for incorrect thinking here.

Matt

PS: Hit 1k BR and moved to the $100 tables last night.. wish me luck.

[/ QUOTE ]
good luck with 10 buyins
Old 04-16-2005, 10:43 AM

If you're going to smooth call the reraise pf, what kind of flop are you looking for here? Only one with a K? Then, if you're going to fold to a push, you can't bet $20 of your remaining $46. Either bet and be prepared to get it all in, or check/fold (which is pretty weak with KK and a board of unders without a strong read IMO).

He's probably got AA, but based on the number of times you'll see QQ here vs. your pot odds, you've GOT to drop your last $26.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:44 AM

I should have 20 I suppose. I'm pretty confident though. Rarely do I blow my stack. If I lose 5 buyins.... I'll drop back down.

I've been at it for a while now. Since before this account was created anyway. I've never went on a 10 buyin losing streak yet. Knock on wood. (came close though)

Hopefully variance swings my way first.. then I can lose.

Besides all of this... a cynical "good luck" doesn't add much. you make it sound like a certainty that I'm gonna run into a 10buyin downswing immidiately? Or that m,y play as shown above is gonna get eaten up at $100. Just what are you trying to say? Can we be constructive here?

Matt
Old 04-16-2005, 10:52 AM

He is just saying that 10 buyins might not be enough. It is better to have more so you can play normally rather than scared-weak, which is what a lot of players do when they are really worried about losing a big part of their roll.

Think of the buyin rule like you think of the 5/10 rule. If you lose anything at all, you are already above your 10%, where you aren't supposed to be. It is better to wait until you get to where a buyin is under 5%, so you can play more comfortably. JMO, but best wishes in your endeavor.

-Trail

p.s. If you do hit a downswing, watch out for the urge to continue playing those stakes because "moving down will take twice as long to recover."
Old 04-16-2005, 12:25 PM

I should not have bet out $20 on the flop. Smaller amt would have had the same result I think $10 even.

If I had reraised to 20 pre-flop and he pushes I definately call there as well. If he just calls my reraise preflop then maybe I can feel better about getting it in on the flop.

Are there only weak plays that fold KK here?

I guess at the $50 level you can see just about anything so I shoulda called..

I wish I knew what he had [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Matt
Old 04-16-2005, 12:44 PM

I call instantly.